Printer help please

G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 160GB HD 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Snow Leopard OSX 20" FS Moniter
I have an HP3180 scanner/copier/printer that is 5 years old. Now that I have purchased a new mac mini the scanning directly to a file on the HD is not compatable with the older HP printer. I am not familure with "scan capture" program, can someone please advise me on how to use this, I have some photos I want to scan into I-photo and used to be able to use the HP program to do it. But w/new OS it only lets me copy and print...Thanks in advance, G30http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/icons/icon12.gif

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you grab the latest driver package from HP?

Is that a LaserJet, OfficeJet, or Photosmart series printer? Is the model number 3180 or C3180?

OP
G

G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 160GB HD 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Snow Leopard OSX 20" FS Moniter
HP Photosmart C3180

No I do not have the lastest driver (is the driver the install cd?) and it is HP Photosmart C3180 Express....If I need the driver please let me know how to obtain/install this please kind sir...Thank you, G30 BTW- It does not matter but am not able to do what we spoke about in the PM yet, I will just try it everday till it lets me, no biggie.. Thanks again for your professionalism Super MOD, You took way more time than needed to fully explain what I was asking and I respect you tremedously for doing so.......Glad I found you guys although I have only a few posts I have jumped in leaps and bounds are far as learning the in's and out's of the newOS......

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/icons/icon14.gif

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A print driver is a software package that tells the computer how to format data in a way that a particular printer can understand. In more recent years, driver packages often also come with additional software for non-printing functions like scanning.

The drivers included with Mac OS X (and Windows, for that matter) are typically very basic. Also, the driver disc that came with your printer is likely tuned to an older version of OS X. So, what you need to do is get the latest and greatest from the manufacturer's site.

That package is available here:

HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers - Mac OS X v10.6 HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

OP
G

G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Downloading right now, I should be ok now but after i install if I have any problems I will let you know....Thanks again, G30http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/icons/icon10.gif

OP
G

G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I have the scanner operational now put I am trying to scan a document and when I do this it only scans a portion of it Like 1 line. I am having a hard time fiquring out how to ajust the way image capture scans it so I see the whole page. Can someone please help me out, I know it is simple but I have never used the application before so not sure how to set it up correctly thanks, G30

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.