My app icons won't wiggle

Reaction score
I just got an iphone and don't currently have time to mess with lots of things, like checking out all the bells and whistles and downloading and loading songs and stuff. That's going to have a wait a bit.

But I wanted to move some apps around, but when I hold them down, they don't wiggle. Is there a minimum number of icons required before this happens?

Also, I was told I should sync my iphone. My computer is a Dell. What do I do to sync it? Step by step instructions would be good, because I tried connecting it to the computer with the usb and going to the itunes site, but I didn't see anything that said "synching." Help for a newbie?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just got an iphone and don't currently have time to mess with lots of things, like checking out all the bells and whistles and downloading and loading songs and stuff. That's going to have a wait a bit.

But I wanted to move some apps around, but when I hold them down, they don't wiggle. Is there a minimum number of icons required before this happens?

Perhaps you don't have the right music playing. Maybe something more up-tempo.

...but seriously. No, no minimum number of icons. Just press and hold your finger on one of the icons (make sure the lock is not turned on at the top of the phone) and it should start wiggling and have an 'X' in the upper right corner, should you want to remove the app.

Also, I was told I should sync my iphone. My computer is a Dell. What do I do to sync it? Step by step instructions would be good, because I tried connecting it to the computer with the usb and going to the itunes site, but I didn't see anything that said "synching." Help for a newbie?

iTunes is used to sync music, video, calendar, contacts, etc. with the iPhone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You have to have iTunes installed. Do you have iTunes installed?

As for the minimum number of apps, I've never encountered that problem. What firmware version are you running? To check, go to Settings > General > About > Version. I doubt that you have such an old version of the firmware but previous to 1.1.3 (someone correct me if this is wrong), the apps couldn't be moved.

OP
C
Reaction score
I tried holding down on an icon. Nothing. The guy at the store tried it. Nothing.

He suggested synching it--for that and to get updates. But I don't know how to do that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried holding down on an icon. Nothing. The guy at the store tried it. Nothing.

He suggested synching it--for that and to get updates. But I don't know how to do that.

Download and install iTunes (link provided in my previous post). Once you've got it up and running, use the included USB cable to connect it to your PC. iTunes should show the phone under 'Devices' in the left window pane. Click on the phone and you'll get a summary page. One of the options is to install updates.

OP
C
Reaction score
That's just it. When I go to itunes.com with the phone connected, I don't see a left window pane or "devices" list. I get a general itunes entertainment page--and that's after itunes is downloaded AND after I registered the device manually. When I try a "how to" video, they assume I see a devices list.

What am I doing wrong?

I do get a window saying the iphone's camera is connected and what software do I want to use with it. That's not what I'm trying to do.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's just it. When I go to itunes.com with the phone connected, I don't see a left window pane or "devices" list. I get a general itunes entertainment page--and that's after itunes is downloaded.

What am I doing wrong?

I do get a window saying the iphone's camera is connected and what software do I want to use with it. That's not what I'm trying to do.

I think you're going to the iTunes website, when what you want to do is download the iTunes software from that website and install it on your PC. It is from within the iTunes software that you'll see your phone listed.

OP
C
Reaction score
I found out why the icons wouldn't wiggle!

Evidently, the AT&T store erred when activating the phone. For some reason, they activated it with the demo software. That locks the icons.

Apple.com was willing to replace it at the local Apple store, but they found the problem. I downloaded "contacts sync" app (free) and uploaded my contacts. They restored the phone, and I re-loaded the app and synced the contacts.

All good now.

But now Hubby is thinking that, soon, I'll get the new phone and he'll take this one.

I don't think we need to right now, but whatever he wants.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged the answer with the original thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.