Can't see networked PC's (running OS 10.6.3)

Reaction score
I recently tried to set up our new mac to our wireless windows network (one PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate, one runs Windows 7 Professional, and one runs Windows 7 Home Premium). All of our PC's can see the mac (running Snow Leopard) but the mac can't see the PC's. I was able to connect to each PC by using the "Connect to Server" option (command + k). I've searched the web for hours and have checked the settings on the PC's and the mac a million times over and everything seems to be set up correctly so why aren't the networked windows computers showing up in the finder or network window on the mac? Please help! We desperately need file sharing across the computers for our business.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a software firewall issue on the Windows machines. You wouldn't happen to be using a third party Firewall like Norton 360 on them, would you?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, none of the computers have any third-party firewall programs.

What are you running for Anti-virus? Did you configure the Windows Firewall to allow file sharing?

OP
L
Reaction score
All the PC's are running AVG Free. All of the PC's can also see each other and access all shared folders on the other PC's and the Mac. I checked Window's Firewall and File and Printer Sharing is enabled.

I'm thinking it has to be some little setting on the mac, or there is a a default setting on all PC's that block the mac?

I just turned on a laptop that is running Vista on it to see if maybe it has something to do with Windows 7, but the laptop with Vista can also access the other PC's and the Mac, but the Mac can't see it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, you can connect to the PCs using the Finder => Go => Connect to Server, but they don't show up in the Shared list in Finder, right?

This smacks of a name resolution issue to me. When you use the Go => Connect to Server option, do you use the IP address of the PC to connect?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In OSX in System Preferences and on the Sharing, do you have File Sharing enabled?

OP
L
Reaction score
So, you can connect to the PCs using the Finder => Go => Connect to Server, but they don't show up in the Shared list in Finder, right?

This smacks of a name resolution issue to me. When you use the Go => Connect to Server option, do you use the IP address of the PC to connect?

Yes I have successfully connected to the PCs using the Connect to Server option but they don't show up in the Shared list. I've connected that way by using the IP address of the PC and also the name of the computer. Both ways worked perfectly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the workgroup name consistent amongst the Windows PCs? It has to be related to NetBIOS.

On each Windows machine, click Start => Right-click 'Computer' => Click Properties => Click "Change Settings" link => Click Computer Name tab => Click Change. Make sure the workgroup name is consistent amongst the PCs.

On the Mac, go to System Preferences => Network => Choose the network adapter you're using in the left pane (i.e. Airport or Ethernet) => Click Advanced => Click WINS tab => type the same workgroup name into the workgroup field => Click OK.

Reboot the Mac and see if it shows up then.

OP
L
Reaction score
Is the workgroup name consistent amongst the Windows PCs? It has to be related to NetBIOS.

On each Windows machine, click Start => Right-click 'Computer' => Click Properties => Click "Change Settings" link => Click Computer Name tab => Click Change. Make sure the workgroup name is consistent amongst the PCs.

On the Mac, go to System Preferences => Network => Choose the network adapter you're using in the left pane (i.e. Airport or Ethernet) => Click Advanced => Click WINS tab => type the same workgroup name into the workgroup field => Click OK.

Reboot the Mac and see if it shows up then.

The workgroup name is already the same on all computers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The workgroup name is already the same on all computers.

That may certainly be the case with the Windows machines, but it's not a default setting on the Mac. So, can you confirm that you did check this on the Mac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me get into a bit of detail for the tack I'm taking here...

All computers on a network have an IP address. And assuming you can see a machine by IP, there is likely not a firewall issue. The Shared computers section of the Finder window (and Network Neighborhood/My Network Places/Network window in Windows) displays computer names that are discovered using NetBIOS broadcasts on small networks. I think what's not happening here is that the Mac isn't picking up on the NetBIOS broadcast. This is usually related to the Mac not being in the same workgroup. Even if the Mac's software firewall is turned on (it is not, by default), it should still see those broadcasts. Even if the Mac isn't configured for File Sharing (i.e. sharing its files out to other machines), it should still see those broadcasts.

I don't have sharing of any kind enabled on my MBP, and the Firewire is as tight as a snare drum, with Stealth Mode turned on, and I can still see my PCs and NAS which is using SMB.

Now, I do have a DNS entry set up for my NAS that manually resolves its static IP. But that's the only difference I can think of, aside from the config of the router. I don't believe it's the router blocking broadcasts because the Windows machines can browse each other.

It might not be a bad idea to install Bonjour on the Windows machines as that uses UPNP and should handle name resolution using its own protocols. That would be my next step (at least on a trial basis on one of the Windows machines).

OP
L
Reaction score
That may certainly be the case with the Windows machines, but it's not a default setting on the Mac. So, can you confirm that you did check this on the Mac?

Yes, we don't use the default workgroup name, so we knew we had to change that. Now I was wondering, am I supposed to put anything in the "WINS Servers:" area in the network setting on the mac (same area as the workgroup name)?

Also, I just restarted the computers and can no longer see the Mac on the PC's network... I haven't changed anything. I also cannot connect via the "Connect to Server" option under the finder. I get this error:

The server "192.168.1.8" may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, then try again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's backtrack a little bit. Can you describe the network a little better? How many PCs in total are on it and what is the make/model of the router?

OP
L
Reaction score
Let's backtrack a little bit. Can you describe the network a little better? How many PCs in total are on it and what is the make/model of the router?

There are 5 computers connected to the network (not including the imac). 4 of the five are laptops, 3 of which are running Windows 7, one is running Vista. The other PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate. They are networked through a Netgear router (WPN824 v3).

I tried downloading Bonjour on one of the PC's and it didn't do anything.

Reaction score
Similar issue

There are 5 computers connected to the network (not including the imac). 4 of the five are laptops, 3 of which are running Windows 7, one is running Vista. The other PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate. They are networked through a Netgear router (WPN824 v3).

I tried downloading Bonjour on one of the PC's and it didn't do anything.

I have almost the identical issue - brought it to the forum a month or so ago - and it disappeared. But it is back. I did complex reinstalls with Mac support - all to no avail. Somedays I see networked PCs, other days "Shared" does not appear at all. I can connect directly with the "Go" as described in this thread. I cannot even see the NAS server, my router or my networked printer. Yes the Workgroup name is the same as on my Windows 7 PCs - they can see the network and the Mac no trouble. I think this is a Mac OS issue. Macbook Pro 10.6 wired or wireless. Roy Sharma

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.