• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Free converter for video files

Reaction score
I have a lot of work related videos in Windows which are mpeg2 or other formats. I need to convert them to Mpeg 4 for my macbook pro. Which is the best free software for doing this.

Sunir

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If the files are mpeg2, you'll need to purchase the quicktime mpeg component for mpegstreamclip (from apple) to convert an mpeg2 file. You can purchase it here: QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS X - Apple Store (U.S.) - mpegstreamclip uses quicktime for conversions and will require that if you're trying to convert mpeg2 video files.

You can try to use Handbrake ( http://www.handbrake.fr/ ) as it doesn't uses ffmpeg to do its conversions. Although handbrake isn't originally designed to do conversions, it does work well for it as long as you need to convert to mp4/m4v/mkv.

Reaction score
Converting video formats

sunir:

I had the same question you posted and after following the advice (getting Streamclip and purchasing QT component - $20.-) am now able to use my Panasonic VDR-D 300 camera's RAM disks to do editing and burning movies.

Actually, you already have the QT MPEG component on your computer. The Apple Store - in return for your purchase order - will give you the key to give you access. Streamclip is free, just Google for the name.

Once you have those components and need the steps, please let us know.

Reaction score
Typically, how long (time) does it take to convert a 750MB .avi file to mp4? I've downloaded prism video converter and it seems to be taking forever! Almost like it's converting at real time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woznaldo: you really should start your own thread as your issue is separate from the OPs who was specifically looking for information about free video converters where you're looking for assistance with a specific video converter.

I've never used Prism before, but conversion will depend on how long the video is, what your settings are, quality of the conversion software and of course the system itself (ie: CPU model and speed, RAM, etc.).

Longer the video is (not necessarily the larger the file size) will take longer to transcode, the bigger the change in the video (ie: resizing from HD to say a resolution for an iPod Touch) will take longer to transcode, depending on the capabilities of your hardware, when going from one codec to another (possibly more difficult codec) can add time to your transcode, if you've pegged all cores on your machine and it's taking forever to transcode then either try different software that may be more efficient or understand that your system just can't go any faster with the given software package (you can check your activity monitor while transcoding or look for an older version of iStat Menus (they just went to pay for with version 3.0) to watch your CPU activity.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depends on the specs of your machine and the settings you have chosen for encoding. What are the specs of your machine, what settings did you choose and what are the source and destination of your video?

EDIT: Nethfel beat me to it. I must be really slow this morning ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hahaha, yeah, I was in rare form with typing speed considering I had only been up for about 25 minutes at that point ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just waiting for the spammers to descend upon this thread <taps foot>

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just waiting for the spammers to descend upon this thread <taps foot>

They already have - think I wiped the floor with a couple of them this morning. :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.