Aperture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13inch 2.4 ghz 4 mg ram
Was curious about this program I'm just starting to get into photo editing and am looking for an easy to use program. I shoot with a cannon 5D in RAW format. I've got LR3 beta2 but wasn't sure if Im stepping to fast or not?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can grab Aperture 3 for a 30 day trial here.

It seems to be pretty well split down the middle with the pros between these two.

I've been using Aperture 2 and like it a lot - am only a beginning amateur here. My issue is that I use a Mac for my primary personal computing and use Win7 for my primary HTPC where I'd also like to view my pics and work with them from time to time. So, I've just downloaded the LR3 beta also. May be moving to that so I have access on either machine.

LR is now $100+ more than Aperture, so another thing to consider.

I'm still trying to find out for sure if the LR license allows for two installs, one on each OS or not. Anyone out there know for sure or have seen something from Adobe on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I have been using Aperture 3 since it came out, and I like it quite a bit. I also shoot a Canon (40D) and Aperture easily imports the RAW files. The organizational tools are pretty good, and the editing tools very powerful. So far my workflow has been to apply the "auto enhance" feature to each shot (RAW files always need some sharpening and color adjustment or they look flat) - sometimes that's all they need, or maybe just a minor tweak beyond that. If a particular shot needs more work, or if I want to go deeper into it with dodging and burning, etc., Aperture has all the standard tools, and they are pretty easy to learn and use with a little practice.

Lightroom has a very good reputation as well, but I haven't used it so I can't compare the two.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I tried both Lightroom and Aperture (30 day free trial) and ended up going with Aperture 3. Not saying it's better than Lightroom but it suited me and felt more natural.
I'm definitely an amateur as well and just learning to use the editing capabilities. Usually I use the autoenhance and play with the white balance--for me it is worth the upgrade from iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
For the size of catalog I have, how I work and being that they're all RAW files, Aperture is a dog for me in many ways. I can not waste 20 minutes at a time staring at beach balls in Aperture just because I have other apps open at the same time. Using selective brushes pretty much brings things to a halt, as does simply importing a new catalog.

I like its GUI, and it has some neat tools, but those things would never replace what I can do in Lightroom 2. A lot of people will argue that LR doesn't have the same tools as Aperture, but after examining said features, I found that it isn't true. It's just that certain features aren't named the same way, so it can be confusing.

Whether it be with my 13" base model MacBook Pro, or my earlier 15" MBP with 4 gigs of RAM, Aperture runs horribly while Lightroom 2 is just the opposite. Interestingly, Aperture was the first DAM I tried when I bought my first MBP, and it was exactly the same. Slow to unresponsive at times. And I'm not the only person who has made this observation. You'll likely hear none of the complaining here though, since this IS an Apple centric forum. You'll get more unbiased reviews and comparisons on some photography forums. Since you're a Canon shooter, I'd suggest visiting POTN.

Though you can find the same reviews on my photography forum which is the nikon cafe, and we actually have a lot of Canon shooters as well as all sorts of film shooters.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I tried both Lightroom and Aperture (30 day free trial) and ended up going with Aperture 3. Not saying it's better than Lightroom but it suited me and felt more natural.
I'm definitely an amateur as well and just learning to use the editing capabilities. Usually I use the autoenhance and play with the white balance--for me it is worth the upgrade from iPhoto.

aperture is mac's answer to photoshop right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
aperture is mac's answer to photoshop right?

More comparable to Lightroom I believe. Photoshop goes well beyond basic photo editing.

For the size of catalog I have, how I work and being that they're all RAW files, Aperture is a dog for me in many ways.

No performance issues at all running Aperture 3 on my Mac.
idn_smilie.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.