• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac sightings in Nightclubs

M

mogwai

Hi guys

any of you noticed any famous techno/electro djs using macs and finalscratch, apparently djs use macs during performances because of their 100% (no crash) reliability, It would be intersting to see an apple.com article on this

I've seen a lots of famous djs with powerbooks on stage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I havn't seen many around me, I'm not a big clubber though. I think it would definately make sense though. For the not so famous, the Powerbook could be an expensive choice though...

OP
T

Tel

I spent a week in Malia (Crete, Greece) recently and I was supprised at how many DJ's used Mac's, a few had customised them with stickers and stuff too. One DJ (needless to say he wasn't very good) was atually in the toilet when it was time for a track change, next song mixed in seemlessly, I'm guessing that Mac could DJ a LOT better than him.

The best clubs were totally computer free though, all done by hand :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't know what the dj used at my prom, but I think it was a mac, he had some kind of computer behind his thing, but it was at a fancy place so everything was hiding, lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i was in this little dive bar/club in la and the dj had a 12in ibook goin. :headphone

Reaction score
I dj frequently (once or twice a week). Since I began, I have always done everything by hand. It's a much better feel to control things with the touch. About a year ago I started using an iPod, and just a week ago I purchased a 12" PB to use. Have yet to do a gig with it, but I look forward to it.

What I will most likely end up doing is using iTunes and controlling everything through my mixer. They do make a Numark mixer w/ USB ports (Same model as I already have, just w/ USB, CM200). I may purchase that, and I would be able to then control my music via the mixer and DJ software. Time will tell, I love experimenting w/ new things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
BigBear said:
i was in this little dive bar/club in la and the dj had a 12in ibook goin. :headphone

If i was going to dj I would use the powerbook, and 15 inch, if not for the power but because it looks nicer, hmm i wonder plasma tvs on both sides of the dj with the itunes visulizer plus the extra lights djs normally use, that would be prety cool

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
If i was going to dj I would use the powerbook, and 15 inch, if not for the power but because it looks nicer, hmm i wonder plasma tvs on both sides of the dj with the itunes visulizer plus the extra lights djs normally use, that would be prety cool

Once I feel like shelling out the cash, I will buy some sort of projecter. That way I can project the iTunes visualizer to the music I am playing. That would be sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
some dj's use a PB because there is a program thatr lets you use turntables in addition to your PB so that means you can just use your PB as your record bag.

Dj Jazzy Jeff is one such Dj

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
PowerBookG4 said:
.. he had some kind of computer behind his thing ..

Is this the future of computing? The Borg cometh ..... :p

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.