• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon iPhone to get simultaneous voice and data on 3G?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Verizon iPhone to get simultaneous voice and data on 3G? | Electronista

Verizon is reportedly planning to add Voice over Revision A (VoRA) to its network that would use its EVDO Rev A 3G network to handle voice calls as well as data. Unlike usual CDMA networks, which cuts off 3G when a call comes in, VoRA would behave more like HSPA on phone networks and allow both to run at the same time.

If real and accompanied by VoRA, it could juggle data as well as the present-day iPhone and would take away one of the frequently-cited advantages of having the Apple device on AT&T's network. It would also greatly simplify Apple's OS development as it wouldn't have to discourage the use of data in the background.

Ok, I'm as much a natural skeptic as the next guy, and usually take rumors of a Verizon iPhone with several grains of salt. But with all these rumors floating about lately, it's getting too much to be ignored. This has put me over the top... I'm quite convinced that Verizon really is getting the iPhone soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Even though using data while on a voice call isn't that big of a thing for me, if this would happen. Verizon > ATT even more.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The one thing that really concerns me… this rumor says you'd be using Verizon's 3G data pipes for data and voice. Since their 3G service is slower than AT&T's as it is, and it would now be doing double-duty for data and voice, how much of an impact will that have on data speeds and overall quality of service?

Reaction score
If Verizon gets the iPhone AND does simultaneous voice and data, AT&T will be dead to me..

Heck even without simultaneous voice and data I'll most likely drop AT&T.

When Verizon's LTE gets here, AT&T will be dead to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm on Sprint and from what I've read it's pretty much a 99.999% guarantee they aren't getting the iPhone this year or anytime too soon. :( It's a shame because I'm more than pleased with coverage and customer service. They are notorious for crappy phone selection, though.
Therefore, when my contract is up next year in March/April I will be switching. To who? Whoever is carrying the iPhone. If it's only AT&T, then I have no choice. But if Verizon has the iPhone too, I'm going with VZW.

Reaction score
While I have been on the edge of my seat over the last year as to whether or not Verizon is getting the iPhone I no longer care. I only care about the release of the next phone and using whichever carrier has it even if it is AT&T. Once that contract is up if I don't like their service and Verizon has the iPhone I will switch back at that time. Its more important for me to get the new iPhone at this point than it is to wait for my desired carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The one thing that really concerns me… this rumor says you'd be using Verizon's 3G data pipes for data and voice. Since their 3G service is slower than AT&T's as it is, and it would now be doing double-duty for data and voice, how much of an impact will that have on data speeds and overall quality of service?
I believe a full-quality voice channel on CDMA takes up about 14.4kbps of bandwidth. So it's not going to make a dent on a 1.5 or 3.mbps Rev. A network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
At this point, all I really know is that wherever I wind up at the end of my contract with AT&T, it won't be with me signing a contract with anyone. I'll gladly pay full price just to steer my own course. The handset is secondary to me when compared to quality of service. iTunes and apps are nice, but my phone's primary job is to make phone calls and send/receive emails with as close to 99.9% availability as possible. That said, a 4G Verizon iPhone with no contract would be the best of all worlds to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.