• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iphone OS 4.0 to support tethering - rumour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
OS3 always had a setup tethering option but it was just hidden for AT&T. All they have done is enabled it. But yes, does look like it will be supported. I am an o2 customer in the UK and the beta lets me tether, so support is still there just as in os3 but looks like the AT&T block has gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Tethering should have been enabled a long time ago, Remember how long it took to get MMS in the U.S. ? Heck the first Generation iPhone should have been 3G... I could go on and on,but I will get off my soapbox now.

A big thanks to our resident journalist for another fine read :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Thats awesome, though much too late.

Anyhow, from what I understand from reading that article they'll be charging additional costs for the use of tethering? Why's that? I mean I am already paying for mobile internet, right? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Anyhow, from what I understand from reading that article they'll be charging additional costs for the use of tethering? Why's that? I mean I am already paying for mobile internet, right? :eek:

Just a way to get more money out of you. I can tether my iPad wireless from my Nexus One all day long free of charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

LOL.. Because they can ? All they have to say is that the iPhone user base is saturating their network so much, that they need more money in order to improve and maintain it. Meanwhile, that statement is a contradiction in its self, seeing as how if there ARE so many iPhone users, the cost they already pay out, should cover the cost of network operations.

Furthermore, and to add insult to injury, as far as I know, ATT Blackberry users get tethering for free.

Oh the Jailbreak is such a thing of beauty.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
J. I can tether my iPad wireless from my Nexus One all day long free of charge.

Just curious, is that with a hack or just straight up ?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL.. Because they can ? All they have to say is that the iPhone user base is saturating their network so much, that they need more money in order to improve and maintain it. Meanwhile, that statement is a contradiction in its self, seeing as how if there ARE so many iPhone users, the cost they already pay out, should cover the cost of network operations.

Furthermore, and to add insult to injury, as far as I know, ATT Blackberry users get tethering for free.

Oh the Jailbreak is such a thing of beauty.

Doug

+1 At&t did it to themselves. As long as they have the exclusivity it will continue, I bought a 3GS off a guy the other day he and his wife each had one their bill was almost $200 a month, I almost **** myself on how insanely expensive it is to own an iPhone on At&t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious, is that with a hack or just straight up ?

Doug

mine is rooted and it has a program called "Wireless Tether" it's great don't get me wrong it's a battery killer but I keep it on the car charger,Can surf on the iPad or Netbook in the car or at the park or where ever. Tmobile (my carrier) has never charged me for excessive data use.

Sorry to answer your question I believe it's a hack, I didn't do the root or install the app it came like that one the phone,But Android is open source so it's not a big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just another way AT&T keeps killing their pr wonder if they went to the same business school as Comcast and Time Warner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.