Deleting Album in iTunes used to trash the MP3 files too, why no more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Anyone else noticed this? I think it may have happened in the recent update to itunes.

It used to be that when i selected an album or track from inside iTunes, and deleted it, it would also trash the actual MP3 files from my Mac. But now, confusingly, it only removes the album from iTunes, i have to manually find the MP3 folder and remove those too.

Anyone know a way around this?

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Bump, let me rephrase

It used to be, deleting album inside of iTunes prompts the user about deleting the actual MP3 files/albums.

But now it doesnt do it, it just deletes the album from the iTunes library but i still have to go and find the folder and delete it manually

booo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think that has been the default behavior for a while now. I dont know why.

If you press alt delete you get the prompt to delete the files

C

chas_m

I still get the prompt when I delete tracks or groups of tracks *from the iTunes Library.*

If I'm in a playlist, of course, then the tracks aren't really deleted at all, so no need for the prompt. So be sure you are actually in the main iTunes Music Library when trying to delete tracks.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Yeah i've just tried your suggestions, still not getting it to do it, it prompts me about removing from library, but not the files. Even with Alt combination.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.