Time Capsule Network Extension Questions

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I'm new to the Forum.

I have a Time Capsule as my base station. I need to extend the range of the network. Our house is adobe and the walls are pretty tough on the signal strength. I now want to be able to work outside.

Two options:

1. Can I use my older Airport Extreme base station to extend the signal? If so, how do I set that up?

2. I could buy a range extender (e.g., Hawking Wireless-G Range Extender, or Hawking Signal Booster). Are these produces compatible with the Time Capsule?

Thanks in advance, and, again, my apologies if I'm repeating old questions.

Marty Hewlett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You should be able to use your Airport Extreme to extend a WDS network.
Using the AirPort Admin Utility to create a WDS network with multiple base stations
This shows the ufo airport base stations but it works with the later versions as well.

I think there are a few antenna/range extenders for a time capsule but looking at them - they seem sketchy
time capsule antenna - Google Search

If you are going to buy something extra anyway consider an airport express to extend your network - but I think your old Airport Extreme should do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.