• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help needed for a movie

Reaction score
Hi,

My son made a move for his school project and now we cannot get it to save to an email because it says it is too big (8 Mg or g, I can't remember what he said, but I am sure that there a huge difference). I am not sure if it is movie 6 or whatever you were talking about because I don't know where to look.

It is due today and it won't post to his Utube account, facebook, an email and it is too big for our memory stick or for a DVD.

If anyone has any suggestions other than bringing the computer to school to show the teacher (he says he would rather die first than do that) I would be so thankful.

Best regards,
Jennifer

Reaction score
It is probably 8gigabytes if you can't fit it on a DVD, and yes that is a lot of space.
You probably have the uncompressed avi file, which you will have to encode to a much smaller file.
I use MediaCoder on my PC to do this sort of thing, they have a Mac version available also, I haven't tried it out yet.
Here's the link to download it:
MediaCoder - Downloads
I recommend to try encoding into mpg using h264 codec and running aroung 2000kbps, see if this works our for you in both quality and filesize and maybe play around with the settings after that.

OP
J
Reaction score
sala an

Thank you so much over there in the Ukraine! If I try it and it doesn't work, will it ruin his original movie by compressing it or will that still be there?

Jen

Reaction score
It doesn't do any damage to the original files, they will still be there, so you can try for as many times as you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Another thing you may want to try is Mpegstreamclip from Squared5 ( Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows ) - it works for both Mac and PC - you don't say which platform, but I am assuming it's on a Mac, so your output from iMovie would most likely be a .mov quicktime file. With mpegstreamclip, you can have it export to a variety of containers and codecs, including a H.264 mp4 @ whatever bitrate you want.

Honestly, it will probably be a bit easier to use then Mediacoder - I've used media coder a lot on the PC side and it is really good, but I won't say it's the easiest transcoding software out there (well, none are totally simple, but some are easier then others)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Jennifer, first click once on the video and then use the command-I keys to get information on the file. How big is it? There is a huge difference between MB (Megabytes) and GB (Gigabytes).

What is the length of the video in time?

Which version of iMovie did you use to make the video? Start it up and use the "About iMovie" under the iMovie menu. A pop up window tells you what version it is.

My iMovie Export Guide may help you do an export that is a reasonable size. I'd recommend creating a .mov file with the H.264 vide codec and ACC audio. That can be uploaded to YT.

P.S. I moved this from the other thread you posted to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.