MacBook Pro Wi-Fi Problem

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here on Mac Forums and I was hoping you all could help me out. My problem is when I use my MacBook Pro for anything network related (Snow Leopard or Windows XP partition) it seems to work fine on the internet for a few minutes then will no longer connect to any websites without warning. The AirPort symbol on the menu bar shows I have a perfect connection but nothing network related will load, however my Dell PC (wireless connection), PlayStation 3 (wired connection), and Xbox 360 (wired connection) will work just fine.

I have tried using different browsers, restarting the AirPort on my MacBook Pro, and restarting my modem but no fix. I am also using a mid 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Im currently having the same problem connecting to a WEP network. I frequently get the connection timeout message, but occasionally, for some reason, it lets me connect for about 15 minutes before it no longer works. This is immensely frustrating. If it might help someone diagnose this, I also find that the password is never remembered and I must continually enter it each time I try to accesss the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Austin Welcome to the Forum. Try setting up Locations for home and work? and include DNS numbers for each of the ISPs if they are not showing automatically. see if that helps. Look here and here

oxband - try the same deal set up Locations for your regular places and use Automatic for coffee shops etc.

Reaction score
I'll try to get the number from the ISP although that might be hard: im actually in mexico doing a homestay with a family, and I feel like my spanish might not be good enough to get through the bureaucracy of a Mexican service provider. Any other possible solutions? I deleted the system configuration files, although that didn't seem to totally solve the problem. One thing I don't understand is why, even though I have made a new location for this house, I still get asked to type in the password and the network doesn't try to automatically connect to the preferred network I have set. It also seems to sometimes work when I open my computer after it has been asleep. Man this is frustrating!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.