browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
what browser do you guys use? i've read about how Safari is built for OSX so it runs faster than other browsers, but how much faster does Safari run compared to the others? My mac friends(the ones that got me to switch) use Camino, anyone here use it? What are the pros and cons of the different browsers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
TomyDingo said:
what browser do you guys use? i've read about how Safari is built for OSX so it runs faster than other browsers, but how much faster does Safari run compared to the others? My mac friends(the ones that got me to switch) use Camino, anyone here use it? What are the pros and cons of the different browsers?

I use Safari because it's one of the fastest ones out there, I like the appearance, interface, and features, and it's more or less "integrated" into OS X.

Reaction score
I use Firefox as I can customize it to my liking. I build my own from source and make them publically available. They're generally faster than the official builds.

I was going to port some of the code to Altivec but the x86 move has me rethinking that idea.

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
mmoy said:
I use Firefox as I can customize it to my liking. I build my own from source and make them publically available. They're generally faster than the official builds.

I was going to port some of the code to Altivec but the x86 move has me rethinking that idea.

i use firefox on my PC now and have a bunch of extensions loaded, so i'm considering using that when i get my powerbook

Reaction score
Tell you the truth, the only reason I use safari is the built in spell checker..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I use safari... uh... cause I just like it better. Couldn't really tell you why, just do.

K

Kokopelli

I use Camino, but I really wish it had a Spell Checker. Shiira is my second choice currently, which does have a spell checker.

Safari/Shiira and Camino are about even on the speed currently. But based upon results of WebKit compiled from the CVS there are more improvements in Webkits speed on the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use safari, it is fast, but I also like its apearance and features.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

I used firefox on my PC -- but safari seems to work great - it came bundled with OS X ----- keep it simple - I use safari

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since Safari 1.3 came out with 10.3.9 I have used it for 99% of my browsing on the Mac. If there are any sites that will not work which is RARE for me now in 2.0 Safari, I fire up Camino.

For testing out sites I use Safari, Camino, Firefox, Opera on the Mac end and IE, Netscape, Firefox and Opera on the Windows side.

Safari is overall though my favorite browser. Love the interface.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
In the past, I mainly used Firefox for all nice features it has, but I found myself slowly not using them more and more. So, I thought that it wouldn't hurt to finally go back to Safari again.

M

mangoSharingan

I use Firefox because it's the only one that lets you browse through your bookmarks toolbar by hovering your cursor instead of clicking the menu names as I use my bookmarks very frequently. I liked Camino but it was still too buggy for me and would crash like every 1-2 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
well, currently installed is Safari, Firefox and Camino. right now i'm favoring Camino over Firefox, which is my PC browser.

Firefox seems to....i don't know, hoggish on my mac Camino has worked well so far.

safari is nice, but not my fav.

T

Tel

I used to use Firefox with my PC, I had a load of extension that I thought I couldn't live without, I decided to get it for my Mac too. I never did get round to downloading it, Safari is pretty grea, very fast and i agree with Ex_PC_Puke, keep it simple, the less unnecassery rubbish I have clogging up my Mac the better, less can go wrong :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5 512MB
I use firefox at work (pc) and home on the iMac. There's a treasure trove of extensions available that I find really useful. Example, Bookmark Synchronizer. When I open FF on either PC it connects and downloads my bookmarks. I can add bookmarks the normal way throughout the day and when I close my browser, it goes and updates the bookmarks on my server so that when I get home, I have the same list!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Explorer !!!!!!!!

Reaction score
scooter said:
well, currently installed is Safari, Firefox and Camino. right now i'm favoring Camino over Firefox, which is my PC browser.

Firefox seems to....i don't know, hoggish on my mac Camino has worked well so far.

safari is nice, but not my fav.

You might try an optimized Firefox build. See mozillazine.org in the unofficial builders forum.

Reaction score
Safari all the way. It is OS intergrated. I do, however, keep Firefox around for pages that don't get along w/ Safari. But I think it's the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.