Quick Suggestion if I may

Reaction score
Some ask about GeekTool here and there (specifically in the Images thread under the monthly desktop).

Here's my suggestion:

How about a stickied GeekTool explanation thread, such as what it does, what can be used in it, and where new people can ask questions about it and get answers (like "how do you get your weather to look like that?")

Just a suggestion. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your suggestion is accepted, would you be willing to write up a Sticky about GeekTool?

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would, but I wouldn't be very good at it.

Tell ya what, I've had a lot of people tell me that I'm good at acting as an editor to spruce up stuff that they've written. If you're willing, put something together and I'll be happy to refine it for you and post it up as a sticky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks for writing that, but we're not going to sticky that. Unfortunately, a question here or there on a specific piece of software isn't going to justify a sticky. GeekTools is not a common subject here, especially to justify a sticky just for that software.

We have to be careful about what is stickied and it needs to be something of substantial volume. If we have too many stickies, things get very cluttered and people ignore all of them.

This would make a much better blog posting if you'd like to write it for that format if you want something more permanent than a post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
My suggestion with things like the GeekTool post would be to create a new board for tutorials, etc. That way you don't get a whole load of stickies which tend to clutter up forums...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My suggestion with things like the GeekTool post would be to create a new board for tutorials, etc. That way you don't get a whole load of stickies which tend to clutter up forums...

I LIKE that idea. Maybe keep the tutorial threads in their respective forums so someone looking for how to format vide for iPad doesn't have to fish through a lot of unrelated tutorial threads. They can go to the iPad hardware or the iOS forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
It may be worth having tutorial moderated first though, with a set of guidelines, etc. I'd be happy to help start setting this up...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Unfortunately, we've set up member contributed forums before. However, they usually go unused and abandoned.

Also, I'd like to make clear that we are not trying to hamper these ideas at every turn. It's just in the past, we've tried these things before, and we can pretty much predict the outcome by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This is why we have the blog. If someone wants to write a tutorial as a blog post, that would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I did post How Many iPods Do You Own and Which in the iPod section.

Can it be stickied?

Nothing personal Chris, and of course I'm only speaking for myself, but, is a thread like that really important enough to warrant making it a sticky ? Not sure I get that one. Sticky's IMO and IME are usually reserved for topics which very large groups of people find they need access to very often. If there were a sticky for every topic like that, it would be hard to draw attention to truly important subjects such as say:

"Reasons to or not to Jailbreak your iPhone and step by step instructions on how to do it"

Doug

OP
C
Reaction score
Nothing personal Chris, and of course I'm only speaking for myself, but, is a thread like that really important enough to warrant making it a sticky ? Not sure I get that one. Sticky's IMO and IME are usually reserved for topics which very large groups of people find they need access to very often. If there were a sticky for every topic like that, it would be hard to draw attention to truly important subjects such as say:

"Reasons to or not to Jailbreak your iPhone and step by step instructions on how to do it"

Doug

Understandable- you might find it not helpful, however- why are there stickies for:

Web search providers?
Type of web browser?
Dock screenshots?
Your internet speed?
Favorite iPod touch/iPhone app?
iOS homescreens?
eBook readers?
Monthly desktop screenshots?
Monthly photos?
Member bands?
Personal Websites?

Helpful? Some of the above, I just don't understand how they would be helpful. Honestly- what is the point of some of these? Creating a monthly calendar with various photos? (<— Just a thought). I mean, I understand the point of stickies for this forum- it's all about technology, which I know, not everybody gets into it as some of us more technology-know it alls are.

I'm not trying to start a huge war here, but really, having those stickied above…doesn't quite make sense in terms of "helpful".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.