• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Matte Question

Reaction score
Let me try to explain this to the best of my ability...

Is there a way to create a matte/mask/layer over a specific point/object on my video and make it completely transparent so it will basically be invisible and you can see the background behind it? If I wanted to make my hand invisible, for example, is there a way using a matte or would i have to put a duplicate video behind the original and crop it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yes, you would need to use 2 pieces of video to do this - there is no technology to cut out one layer of a 2D image to reveal a second layer of a 2D image if there are not specifically 2 2D images to use (ie: 2 layers of video). There are some "tricks" that can be done, but it takes a lot of work. It's easier to use two shots. If you're using FCP7, then you have FCS3 - you can use Motion to create a cutout with motion tracking and use a second clip of the background behind you (you didn't mention the version of software you were using, so I was assuming you were using FCE instead of FCP from your previous post).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.