Macbook Pro to a Printer on XP?

Reaction score
How can I connect my Macbook Pro 13" to an HP Deskjet F4400 that is connected to my PC running XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
How can I connect my Macbook Pro 13" to an HP Deskjet F4400 that is connected to my PC running XP?

Right, its been a while since I've done this, but since the setup works here (HP 5150), at least it is possible.

I think that all that I did was go to the printer options in XP, and selected the printer -> properties and enabled sharing. (So these steps are pretty much similar to sharing a printer with other Windows users.)

Then, in Mac OSX, I went to System Preferences, then the Printer & Fax panel.

Click on the + icon to add a printer. A new window should open where you can select the printer. There should be a tab labeled "windows", after which you can navigate through your network to select the workgroup->your XP machine->shared printer.

Make sure any firewall on XP allows access to the printer!

Hope it helps, if not, let me know.

OP
M
Reaction score
hey, thanks for replying so quickly! I tried what you said, and on my XP, it says that the printer is "Sharing". On my Macbook, however, when I go to the Printer and Faxes tab and click the Add button and go to the Windows section, no printer shows up. Windows Firewall is not on on the XP machine. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

Reaction score
Total noob to Mac. Have a brand new MacBook Pro. The printer is hard wired to the XP. I also have a Vista. Both are hardwired into the FIOS modem and share the printer as well as files. The Mac pulls the internet off the modem which is wireless. The mac recognizes the XP and Vista and I can open and edit documents on the XP with the Mac.

So far, so good. Now I want to print with the Mac so I found this post
Right, its been a while since I've done this, but since the setup works here (HP 5150), at least it is possible.

I think that all that I did was go to the printer options in XP, and selected the printer -> properties and enabled sharing. (So these steps are pretty much similar to sharing a printer with other Windows users.)

Then, in Mac OSX, I went to System Preferences, then the Printer & Fax panel.

Click on the + icon to add a printer. A new window should open where you can select the printer. There should be a tab labeled "windows", after which you can navigate through your network to select the workgroup->your XP machine->shared printer.

Make sure any firewall on XP allows access to the printer!

Hope it helps, if not, let me know.

I don't have a tab labeled windows. Here is a screen shot of what I am looking at. Now what?

screenshot.jpg

C

chas_m

You must still be on Leopard. Here's what I see when I click "Add Printer":

I believe if you'll click on the "Protocol" pop-up button in the Add Printer box you'll get an option for Windows, IIRC.

Reaction score
You must still be on Leopard. Here's what I see when I click "Add Printer":

I believe if you'll click on the "Protocol" pop-up button in the Add Printer box you'll get an option for Windows, IIRC.

The protocal box is limited to three choices ( HP jetdirect- Socket, Line Printer Daemon - LPD, Internet Printing Protocol - IPP) . How do I tell if I am on Leopard or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 800 Mhz PowerPC, 2 GB ram, 64 Gb SSD, 10.5 OSX • Iphone 4 • Ipad • Apple Tv • iPods :) •
The protocal box is limited to three choices ( HP jetdirect- Socket, Line Printer Daemon - LPD, Internet Printing Protocol - IPP) . How do I tell if I am on Leopard or something else?

You can tell what operating system your utalizing by clicking on the apple on the top left of the screen and selecting "About this Mac." It should say the version of the OS. (I.E. 10.4.11, Or 10.5.8)

Now do you not have the Driver cd for the hp deskjet F4400? Printers aren't really based on operating systems. However the age of the printer dictates what drivers are available. The f4400 series is a recent line from HP if I recall correctly. HP's website has drivers on their website for installing the printer onto mac Machines. For instance:

HP Deskjet F4400 All-in-One Printer series*-* Download drivers and software - specify product name - HP Business Support Center

If you know the 4400's model number you can select the drivers there.

Reaction score
Now do you not have the Driver cd for the hp deskjet F4400? Printers aren't really based on operating systems. However the age of the printer dictates what drivers are available. The f4400 series is a recent line from HP if I recall correctly. HP's website has drivers on their website for installing the printer onto mac Machines. For instance
I hijacked this thread from MacSE/30 since his problem using a F4400 was solved at the point where I hit the wall.

My printer is an HP Photosmart 7760. The "Printer Using" drop down box in the Add Printer window has a choice of printers including the 7700 series which I have been using.

Reaction score
I spent a good chunk of yesterday on a similar issue...there is an Advanced button available the Add Printer dialog, but for some reason this is hidden by default (why?). You have to right-click in the top part of that dialog and choose Customize Toolbar... and then drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar. That icon will give you the option to add lots of different kinds of printers, including one that's hardwired to a Windows machine.

I don't know why the Advanced button is not there to begin with, and why getting to it is sort of unintuitive - is this typical of the Mac OS? I ask with all due respect, of course. :)

Anyway, google got me to that point, and then I was able to add the Windows-machine printer. But I couldn't authenticate using smb protocol, so another google search suggested using lpd protocol. Finally I can print from this otherwise-awesome macbook pro! Thank heavens for google, and for this forum.

Reaction score
Ok, I got the window to look like the one in the post by Cha_m by clicking on the little tab in the address bar to the right of "Add Printer" which opened the tool bar (see told you I was a total noob to mac) so I could see and select the window icon. So now I have the three boxes and in the first box is mshome and workgroup.

Highlighting workgroup does nothing but highlighting mshome causes the name of the XP computer to show up in second box. And highlighting that puts "printer" and "printer2" in the third box. Printer = Fail, but Printer2 = win and I am now printing :)

Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.