New to Upgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I own 300Mhz Ibook Clamshell with a 3GB harddrive and 96MB of ram. I want to upgrade the computer to be able to run Panther. I plan on adding 256MB of memory to it.

I also own a Ibook G4 and I plan to use the Panther cds to install Panther on the clamshell once I upgrade it.

My question is, is the 3GB harddrive enough? The clamshell is just going to be used for internet browsing and email and nothing will be saved on it. I was planning on using an external harddrive in this case.

So will Mac OS Panther work on this computer? Right now the clamshell is running Mac OS X 10.0.3 and its only running on 96MB of memory and its working fine. I thought you needed at least 128MB but the person I bought it off from on ebay had it on here.

Thanks.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
oldnews said:
I own 300Mhz Ibook Clamshell with a 3GB harddrive and 96MB of ram. I want to upgrade the computer to be able to run Panther. I plan on adding 256MB of memory to it.

I also own a Ibook G4 and I plan to use the Panther cds to install Panther on the clamshell once I upgrade it.

My question is, is the 3GB harddrive enough? The clamshell is just going to be used for internet browsing and email and nothing will be saved on it. I was planning on using an external harddrive in this case.

So will Mac OS Panther work on this computer? Right now the clamshell is running Mac OS X 10.0.3 and its only running on 96MB of memory and its working fine. I thought you needed at least 128MB but the person I bought it off from on ebay had it on here.

Thanks.

As long as you choose custom install and make sure it doesn't install several gigs of stuff you don't need (like 50 odd different languages and 100s of printer drivers) it should fit. Also you may find you can do without classic which saves quite a bit of room, by default IIRC panther installs classic but you can tell it not to.

I'm not sure how it will perform mind you!

Amen-Moses

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Amen-Moses,

2 more questions I have. Is there a website that will give you a list of the stuff you don't need to run Panther if I chose custom install?

I have read that the 300Mhz clamshell has a maximum capacity of 288 MB of ram, but then I hear it can have 512MB? Which is correct?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
oldnews said:
Thanks Amen-Moses,
I have read that the 300Mhz clamshell has a maximum capacity of 288 MB of ram, but then I hear it can have 512MB? Which is correct?

Thanks

according to the specs page at www.lowendmac.com the 1st gen ibooks will take a 512 MB pc66 sodimm.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,

My main question is: Is it possible for me to run Mac OS Panther on,

300mhz Ibook G3 Clamshell
3.2GB Harddrive
288MB RAM (which will be upgraded from 96MB)

I will only be using it for surfing the web and email. I have heard that the harddrive will be cramped but will it be able to hold Panther? If I plan on loading it up with mp3's I would buy an external harddrive. And I dont expect it to be fast but I assuming it will suite my email and surfing needs.

And I would be doing a custom install to get rid of all the unnessesary things that would be taking up space. I recently read that the smallest harddrive that could fit Panther was 4GB.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.