• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Steam for mac released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Shame CoD and BF aren't ported, games for the Mac are pretty dire IMO... :(

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
No worries! Now that steam is available, many game developers will take the opportunity to offer their game for the mac. It makes business sense to spread your game, but it isn't really profitable because not many mac owners go out and buy games. Now that companies have a solid digital distribution method, its really easy to bring your game over to the mac side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2560 x 1440 resolution - 8GBmem - 1TBHD-ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
Gaming on the Mac

As far as games on Mac, I feel they do run better than on Windows. Figuratively speaking everything runs better on mac. It's nice to see more and more games finally being supported with Mac... even the games that were only directed upon for Windows are slowly coming to the Mac side also. It's a good day for mac users! I know that not many mac users go out and buy games but it's still nice to have the option.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as games on Mac, I feel they do run better than on Windows. Figuratively speaking everything runs better on mac. It's nice to see more and more games finally being supported with Mac... even the games that were only directed upon for Windows are slowly coming to the Mac side also. It's a good day for mac users! I know that not many mac users go out and buy games but it's still nice to have the option.

True, but I think steam will actually be pretty successful, especially with steam play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
I know that Monkey Island 1 and 2 are in the works to be ported to Mac (definitely getting those for mine), and I'm pretty darn sure they'll be coming out with more and more it'll just take time. Still ... it's amazing this even came out for Mac eh? :D Once I get some more moola to spend I'll be getting a few on there myself.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the great part is that some great games are pretty cheep. Like the orange box, for example, is only 30$. For 5 great games, including half-life, which is viewed as one of the best games ever to be made. Now thats value :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2560 x 1440 resolution - 8GBmem - 1TBHD-ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
Steam Is Getting There!

Well yeah I think steam has a great concept to it, and that's what mac users have been wanting. As far as everyone saying we don't need it on mac because we can use bootcamp and just launch up steam on windows isn't right because mac (in my opinion) has a much better platform than windows by far, and the quality of everything on mac is fantastic. I know a lot of my friends hate mac but I don't know if they truly have looked into it, because with the ability to use mac and windows... that's a steal right there! But yeah I'm really waiting for Counter Strike to come out on mac, and a few other really well designed games. Someday guys, mac is the future!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Steam on Mac

True, but I think steam will actually be pretty successful, especially with steam play.

I 100% agree with you, I think as steam starts adding more games compatible with mac it will be a wonderful thing to have on mac. This has been a hope for all mac users that play games for steam to come to mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Except trying to find an Apple computer with an OC'ed quad core processor with a 1.75-2GB GPU...or 3 of them, with 6GB+ or RAM and at least one SSD drive that can run games at 2560x1600 resolution with all max settings is something that doesn't really exists...

So I guess you can say that games run better on a wintel machine...since Apple is just starting to make computers that can support the performance of newer games....

The Source engine that Valve uses in all the Half Life games and L4D is getting dated; it doesn't take much in the way of specs to run those games. It'll probably be a while before you see games with crysis'esque graphics on OS X...or at least an Apple computer that has the hardware specs to run the game at anything below medium performance levels.

There's a big reason why 98% of pc gaming is done on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed

Except trying to find an Apple computer with an OC'ed quad core processor with a 1.75-2GB GPU...or 3 of them, with 6GB+ or RAM and at least one SSD drive that can run games at 2560x1600 resolution with all max settings is something that doesn't really exists...

So I guess you can say that games run better on a wintel machine...since Apple is just starting to make computers that can support the performance of newer games....

The Source engine that Valve uses in all the Half Life games and L4D is getting dated; it doesn't take much in the way of specs to run those games. It'll probably be a while before you see games with crysis'esque graphics on OS X...or at least an Apple computer that has the hardware specs to run the game at anything below medium performance levels.

Yeah, I agree with this also, but when I do run windows 7 on my mac and play some games, it is just as fast or faster than running on a windows computer. I think they are getting there, slowly, but they are getting there, mac is a smart company, we will see some big improvements soon I believe. But I agree Villiage that windows is more reliable for games!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yeah, I agree with this also, but when I do run windows 7 on my mac and play some games, it is just as fast or faster than running on a windows computer. I think they are getting there, slowly, but they are getting there, mac is a smart company, we will see some big improvements soon I believe. But I agree Villiage that windows is more reliable for games!

But that's just hardware. It's the exact same hardware you can find in Dell, HP, EMachines, etc...

there's no magic Apple processor that will make a game run better on their hardware. Their real limiting factor is the GPUs the use being several generations behind what an experienced Wintel gamer would use for their computers. They're getting better, but they're not there yet.

And generally games tend to run worse on OS X, because they're either ports or they're running in an emulator, which naturally slows things down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

But that's just hardware. It's the exact same hardware you can find in Dell, HP, EMachines, etc...

there's no magic Apple processor that will make a game run better on their hardware. Their real limiting factor is the GPUs the use being several generations behind what an experienced Wintel gamer would use for their computers. They're getting better, but they're not there yet.

And generally games tend to run worse on OS X, because they're either ports or they're running in an emulator, which naturally slows things down.

Very good point man, you nailed it, I don't know if anyone could of put that better.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Except that these are not ports, they are running natively on OS X, which is why there is so much hype about this. And OS X actually is better at unitizing the hardware it has.

Still agree that gaming = windows though. At least for a couple more years :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Still agree that gaming = windows though. At least for a couple more years :)

I don't see this ever happening unless graphics technology ceases to continue to move foreward or Apple releases such a tight grip on it's connection of OS X to it's own assembled hardware.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, only the future knows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I don't see this ever happening unless graphics technology ceases to continue to move foreward or Apple releases such a tight grip on it's connection of OS X to it's own assembled hardware.

I think to get the most out of gaming for the Mac then developers need to treat it more like a console than a PC and optimise the code for the specific hardware used by Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well, only the future knows...

If the next 26 years follow the trend of the last, then definitely not in that time frame. Especially with hot strict they're getting on what's allowed in the App store and what programs/techonologies they're allowing to run on their devices.

I think to get the most out of gaming for the Mac then developers need to treat it more like a console than a PC and optimise the code for the specific hardware used by Macs.

That's another problem. That means if they want to optimise it for the base model Mac, then they're going to be working with a slower processor, not a lot of RAM, and an integrated GPU that's not going to be able to push graphics that a quad core CPU, 4GB+ of RAM, and a 512MB (Is that the best that Apple is currently using?) stand alone GPU will be able to.

So either people with entry level Macs can't play, or people with high end Macs end up being disappointed. Then, unlike consoles, Apple upgrades the product lines frequently in comparison.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No offence, but you sure are anti-apple. Have a little faith...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.