• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yet Another Mac vs PC arguement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I was having yet another mac vs. pc arguement with a friend (which I think I won, because his PC crashed a total of four times during the arguement. He also had to reformat his hard drive about a month ago, because of viruses. lol). Anyways, he made the comment, "If macs are so good, why does their market share keep on going down?"

Now I had heard that before Jobs, Apple market share was crashing down, but I heard it's coming back up. Also, according to the WWDC video, Mac sales are up, and PC sales are down. Am I correct in those two statements?

So, as he will not believe the data if I find it on a mac site, or directly from apple, does anybody know a good third party site that with have this information?

I

iMe

Does any actually know why Apple's market share is so small to begin with. I tried google search, but I couldnt get any answers.

P.S.- Its so funny how PC users argue because they're more popular. The key words in winning an argument about PCs and Macs is "No Virus!!!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
hmm, and friend of mine and i had this argument a few days before i got my iBook. he said that the only reason apple wasent huge is because apple didnt sell its computers to other companies... or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
iMe said:
P.S.- Its so funny how PC users argue because they're more popular. The key words in winning an argument about PCs and Macs is "No Virus!!!"
I hate when they do that too its really funny. I dont know why but i get really emotional over somethings (thats one of them when pc users think there so much better for really DUMB reasons like here is my favorite "we have two buttons on our mice you only have one so you suck") im the kind of person that if were playing a soccer game and the one team says that it went out and touched a guys foot on my team that i know it didn't i would start flipping out at the person saying that we put it out and the eventually start beating on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
um, the best and most reliable places to find out something like market shar would to be checking all the os's websites and see what they report...add them all up and they should be pretty close to 100%
i guess, i couldnt really find anything online
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
coach_z said:
um, the best and most reliable places to find out something like market shar would to be checking all the os's websites and see what they report...add them all up and they should be pretty close to 100%
i guess, i couldnt really find anything online
-chris
or apple's investor site

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
benjamindaines said:
or apple's investor site
thats what I thought to, the problem is, i know he'll be stubborn and call the info fake if it's directly from Apple...

E

Ex_PC_Puke

iMe said:
Does any actually know why Apple's market share is so small to begin with. I tried google search, but I couldnt get any answers.

Its all ancient history - meaning about 1988 or so - Intel came out with the x386 which was a huge break through in PC performance and Microsoft came out with Windows 3.0 ---- these 2 products combined with the fact that IBM failed to control PC clones produced an explosion of cheap PC products --- applications like word processing and spreadsheets were revolutionizing the office (and accounting etc) - and even though IBM didn't know what to really "do" with the PC --- the PC moniker had the touch of IBM attached to it - a name known for decades in businesses around the world.

While Apple clearly had a more advanced more integrated solution they had 2 major hurdles

- Name recognition at the corporate level (vs an "IBM" PC) - keep in mind that for most corporate guys in the early '80s - a computer was something like an IBM 370 mainframe or a VAX. So when you're going to plunk down a chunk of change for new fangled computers are you going to stake you're reputation with an "IBM" PC or this little California company ???

- Apple (wisely) chose a closed architecture to maintain a integrated + cohesive user experience --- but the down side here was higher component prices (lower volume) and fewer software developers.

Add in the internet and browsing and the PC explosion happened.

Couple that with the very close partnership between Intel and Microsoft during the early '90s and the PC just exploded in market-share (of course so did IT departments and jobs to manage the fragile beasts). By the late '90s the Intel / Microsoft partnership had soured and has gotten worse.

Which leads us to the present day Intel / Apple whoop-de-doo :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Rather than arguing over statistics, why not just answer the question...
rs2sensen said:
..."If macs are so good, why does their market share keep on going down?"

My answer would be "Because people are unwilling to pay for quality."

Is Wal-Mart the world's best store? Does McDonalds make the world's best food? The world is not high school, and popularity doesn't matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
T

Tel

technologist said:
Rather than arguing over statistics, why not just answer the question...

My answer would be "Because people are unwilling to pay for quality."

Is Wal-Mart the world's best store? Does McDonalds make the world's best food? The world is not high school, and popularity doesn't matter.

Im going to use that one next time!

PC user: Well if Macs are that good, why doesn't everyone have one?
Me: Well if Macdonalds is so crap, why is it one of the biggest restaurant!

That'll get them thinking!

C

code777

my father use to be a developer for Mac back in 1984 and he says today he remembered at that time he knew Apple was going to go downhill. They were too specialized in their hardware. The fact of the matter is Windoze will be forever... :(

the fact of the matter is the majority of people only know windoze and well they don't want to "re-learn" a new OS, that's the excuses i get everytime.

T

Tel

code777 said:
my father use to be a developer for Mac back in 1984 and he says today he remembered at that time he knew Apple was going to go downhill. They were too specialized in their hardware. The fact of the matter is Windoze will be forever... :(

the fact of the matter is the majority of people only know windoze and well they don't want to "re-learn" a new OS, that's the excuses i get everytime.

I think with producs such as the iPod, Apple are a lot more appealing to younger people, and its a lot easier to convert younger people because they wont have spent so long on Windows and wont be as stubborn. Once they spend some time in Apple stores, they'll slowly get converted.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and young people are better at using computers (in general) and can pick up new systems much more quickly, and use them to their full potential

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.