• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Flash does not like Android

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This is an article about how the flash player was tried via the Android OS on a Nexus One.

Flash does not like android - The Inquirer
This is a summary of the blog that all the information is in. It's good as the blog is a long read.

JeffCroft.com: On the Android Flash demo at FlashCamp Seattle
And that is the entire blog.

And one quote from the blog stands out to me:
Flash on Android demo crashes twice. Speaker says “What site would you like to see?” Someone says “Hulu.” Speaker says, “Hulu doesn’t work.”

I'm sure all the people from Apple are saying told you so. And for once Apple (via steve's letter) actually did say flash = crash. If they can't even get a flash on android demo to work, how are they supposed to get to stand up to the hard use of the average person when it's released?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
OMG I had to contain the snicker on this one so I didn't make too much noise while reading this at work. You'd think with all that is going on with the fight between Apple and Adobe, and the fact that MS has announced no Flash on the next MS Mobile platform that they (Adobe) would have made sure their product worked flawlessly prior to demonstrating it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I guess the Andriod Flash player is a fork of their buggy Linux version, unless they dedicate some serious resources to it, it will die a deserved death

And this is from someone who gets payed to make the occasional Flash animation, its a good tool, but not the future unless Adobe can pull their finger out and create decent versions for any OS other than Windows.

Its a bit like Acrobat professional, which ever since CS1, has looked increasingly like a second hand port of the windows version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
...and the fact that MS has announced no Flash on the next MS Mobile platform that they (Adobe) would have made sure their product worked flawlessly prior to demonstrating it.
I'm so very confused about this now. Some articles like this one state that Flash is coming to WP7 but that article also states the following: "Enabling that support could possibly counter February reports that the first generation of Microsoft’s new smartphone operating system would lack Flash, which activates rich content on a variety of popular Websites." So is it coming to WP7 or not?

As much as I don't like Flash, I think it's important to note the following:
Apparently Ryan said "Whoops! Well, it's beta, and this is an intense example - let's try it again." He tried it again and got the same result. [...] Croft said that Flash on Android is beta and so it is expected that it's crashy and buggy at this stage. He said that Adobe should not show off buggy software at this point.
I'm going to give Adobe the benefit of the doubt on this one until a stable final release is made available. Only then should Adobe be made accountable (to be fair).

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
As much as I don't like Flash, I think it's important to note the following:I'm going to give Adobe the benefit of the doubt on this one until a stable final release is made available. Only then should Adobe be made accountable (to be fair).

I agree with you. But even still having thing just not work in a keynote or other such presentation like that says bad things about your credibility. I think that's why Jobs didn't demo the iphone OS 4.0 He just made a few flashy screens about it. Better not to demo it then demo it and have it not look bad.

I think the people should have talked about flash on the phone instead of giving the demo. And they should have at least worked out what worked before hand so they could give a good demo at least.

Or it could be a case of "does not like Android ever or does not like Android yet". In that case the keynote they did was way to early.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
As much as I don't like Flash, I think it's important to note the following:I'm going to give Adobe the benefit of the doubt on this one until a stable final release is made available. Only then should Adobe be made accountable (to be fair).

Although I agree, it is buggy, but from the sounds of it, the amount of bugs and the major locations not working with it - the software should be considered alpha - their calling it beta concerns me. If it was beta, with that many crashes and issues with sites, it would have to be early beta - like still a long way off from release. With their terminology, I'm thinking it shouldn't have been demo'd until possibly RC2? lol

But I agree the the8thark - the presentation was done way too early. They should have at most talked about it and maybe showed some stills of working apps or a video clip of a working site rather then opening it up for demonstration. Demoing a product - even a beta - shouldn't be quite as unpolished as what they did.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree with you. But even still having thing just not work in a keynote or other such presentation like that says bad things about your credibility.

But I agree the the8thark - the presentation was done way too early. They should have at most talked about it and maybe showed some stills of working apps or a video clip of a working site rather then opening it up for demonstration.
I agree with you both. If the demo was this bad, Adobe should have refrained from giving it. You would hope that issues like this would have become evident during practice of the presentation.

I like your idea Nethfel about the video. Making the video would have allowed Adobe to demonstrate Flash while also allowing them to show it off from a controlled setting. Hindsight is a beautiful thing I suppose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.