• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yet another reason why I love my Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I just had to reinstall windows on a PC for a friend of mine. I'm working on hour 4 of doing this...... Not because anything has gone wrong... Quite the contrary... this is the least problematic XP install I have done in awhile.

But lets review the process:

1. Run the windows install

2. Deactivate Themes, Messagers and other random automatically started worthless services.

3. Install Norton Antivirus, reboot, update NAV, reboot, run update again, reboot, run update for third time.

4. Run Windows Update... first run the updater update... reboot, then run update again get service pack 2, reboot, run it again to get WM9, reboot, run it again to update one more of the apps (i forget which one), reboot, run it again to update remaining drivers and apps, reboot.

And now... Finally... we are ready to start installing actual software, oh yeah... I forgot... after I find and install the drivers for the ethernet, modem, audio, etc.

Well.... there went my entire morning. Thank goodness I had my Powerbook with me to work on while I waited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
wow, I love my mac too. install process woulda went like this:
boot from install disc 1, install, insert disc 2, install, restart, software update covers it all at once, restart for security and os updates, repair permissions, thats it, start installing softwares.

Reaction score
sounds like you two are looking for something for free from Apple :) j/k...

apple-balloon.jpg

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL... You betcha...I've got my fingers crossed that Steve Jobs just happens to browse across here today and decides to reward me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
ohhh the days of windows xp. glad they are over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sarahsboy18 said:
LOL... You betcha...I've got my fingers crossed that Steve Jobs just happens to browse across here today and decides to reward me.
I'm with him. I personally don't miss windows in ANY way. most missable feature of windows was the solitaire;), also the most stable feature.lol.

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
I'm with him. I personally don't miss windows in ANY way. most missable feature of windows was the solitaire;), also the most stable feature.lol.

I was a freecell guy myself... but I would go so far as to say that solitare was the ONLY stable feature. Hmm... I think my HP knows it is being made fun of... It's fans just started making really loud nioses as I am typing this... LOL

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
sarahsboy18 said:
I was a freecell guy myself... but I would go so far as to say that solitare was the ONLY stable feature.

Funny that, after I installed SP2 solitaire stopped working, freecell still works though so I didn't bother to try and fix it.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I hate having to re-format my PC, it has dodgy ram so it needs it from time to time. It comes pre-loaded with loads of junk like AOL 7.0 which I have to remove before I can start doing anything. It takes the better part of a day to get it up and running properly.

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heck... I'm still working on this friggin laptop... I started at 8 this morning! US Central Time.

Reaction score
never owned a pc and from the sounds of it I never will ;) Now my wife is another story, she has both. But she prefers Apple, I knew there was a reason I decided to marry ;)

C

Cloudane

Ahh Windows reinstalls, no fun. You get used to the fact that everything intertwines itself all over the drive and so you'll have to reinstall and reconfigure all the apps from scratch. If you're lucky you can restore some settings, but you need the time, expertise and effort to pull things out of the registry (worst invention ever) or locate the data files.

I was absolutely thrilled the first time I did Archive & Install on the Mac.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
sarahsboy18 said:
I just had to reinstall windows on a PC for a friend of mine. I'm working on hour 4 of doing this...... Not because anything has gone wrong... Quite the contrary... this is the least problematic XP install I have done in awhile.

But lets review the process:

1. Run the windows install

2. Deactivate Themes, Messagers and other random automatically started worthless services.

3. Install Norton Antivirus, reboot, update NAV, reboot, run update again, reboot, run update for third time.

4. Run Windows Update... first run the updater update... reboot, then run update again get service pack 2, reboot, run it again to get WM9, reboot, run it again to update one more of the apps (i forget which one), reboot, run it again to update remaining drivers and apps, reboot.

And now... Finally... we are ready to start installing actual software, oh yeah... I forgot... after I find and install the drivers for the ethernet, modem, audio, etc.

Well.... there went my entire morning. Thank goodness I had my Powerbook with me to work on while I waited.

You forgot a step; Defrag! Just by installing XP the disk becomes fragmented, don't believe me? Try it and see!

Amen-Moses

E

Ey3 D

WOW! All that just to start using your computer! My family has a long line Mac users and most of my family members have never had a PC in their life. At my school they have PCs and when I was young we had to like play these educational games and I would come home crying because the game would always crash and stuff and i would get yelled at. From then onn I never used computers unless I had to.
Then, one day, I used a Mac... :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lmao, defrag, thats funny, TRUE, but funny. poor Ey3 D, that must have been terrible, my niece and nephews only use mac so far, I may buy them a pc just to teach them both, but they will stay mac users.

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen-Moses said:
You forgot a step; Defrag! Just by installing XP the disk becomes fragmented, don't believe me? Try it and see!

Amen-Moses

Oh yeah! I forgot that... Gotta do that.... Oh wait... the 5th round of updates hasn't finished yet. And for some reason this stupid POS hangs every time it reboots... And I can't just hold down the power button... I have to unplug it and pull the battery.

I don't know how much more of this I can take before this thing becomes a target down at the rifle range. (That's how we fix PCs in Texas) :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sarahsboy18 said:
I don't know how much more of this I can take before this thing becomes a target down at the rifle range. (That's how we fix PCs in Texas) :spook:
yes, thats exactly how they are taken care of. :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
sarahsboy18 said:

If only we had that kind of common sense up in the north...

Lol, I just had a great arguement with a PC user friend of mine. Here is a short bit of it, there was actually even more fun system crash stuff later

Me: So I see your keyboard doesn't light up....
Him: Just another thing to waste battery power.

His laptop turns on, it was hibernating in the middle of Morrowind and has frozen.
Me: So your computer is frozen?
Him: yeah, it likes to hibernate, but during games it freezes it...
Me: Hmmm, my powerbook doesn't do that
Him: But your powerbook can't play games well
Me: it can well enough
Him: hey, lets check something on the internet....
Grrrr. I have to reinstall drivers for my wifi card
Me: How come?
Him: I had to reformat my hard drive. I ran for a year w/ out virus protection and I had 1065 viruses when I eventually installed software
Me: Ahhhhh
Him: Ah, the blue screen of death!!!!

COMPUTER RESTARTS

Firefox Opens "This program has suddenly quit, would you like to send an error report...."
Me: lol

I LOVE MY MAC!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
UPDATE: lol, it turns out that his virus software discovered over 15000 viruses, however, many of those were from the same worm that multiplied itself...

The lesson, use virus and firewall software with pcs, or...get a mac.

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way... I finally got that PC laptop finished around noon today.... Oh well, that install should last two or three weeks before it fills up with junk and has to be reformatted again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.