iPhone 3G, JB, won't respond to anything

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G that has been jailbroken for over six months.

I dropped it the other day, and I think it hit right on the corner where the volume buttons and mute toggle is, and it slightly cracked the case between those buttons.

The phone worked fine the rest of that day. Then I plug it into my computer at night and get an error (didn't note the error #), and moved it to another USB port and it never got recognized. I tried to wake it up, plug it back into the wall, hold home+sleep (sleep button rarely, if ever worked before this), and nothing works. No sounds, no apple logo, nothing.

I realized I could've messed it up when I dropped it, but it worked for several hours afterwords just fine. Then I plug it in to update songs and it kills it. Very weird.

Anyone have advice or similar experience? I don't know if the hold home+sleep works on my phone, b/c like I said the sleep button didn't work really at all.

Thanks. (Unlocked with blackra1n, used rock and cydia, any other info needed just ask).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
We can't help with the Jailbreaking part, The owners of the site don't allow us to discuss the topic. But What I would try and do is put the iPhone into DFU mode and then do a full iTunes restore. That should get you back on track,If that doesn't work It's most likely a hardware problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
No problem with the JB part... Is there another way to put it into DFU mode b/c my sleep button will click sometimes, but would never let me power it off via the sleep button (the "hold" wouldn't stay long enough).

I don't know if DFU mode will even work, b/c there is no signs of my computer ever recognizing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Hey,

First of all, you don't need to put it into DFU mode. Most people don't even know what DFU mode is and what it does. DFU mode is used to bypass the iBoot (Bootrom), and can be used to downgrade firmware. This means if you need to restore your iPhone to current version simply put the iPhone in recovery mode and iTunes takes care of the rest but if you need to downgrade your current firmware to lower one you need to put your iPhone in DFU mode.

So.... use Google before asking questions for a simple task on how to get into recovery mode (forced). I know there are plenty of programs for Mac AND PC that will let you put the iPhone into recovery mode by a click of a button, so you won't need to press any buttons on the iPhone.

If this still doesn't work, like bargsbeer said, it will be most likely hardware. Then, you are pretty screwed. Even if you are covered by the 1year warrenty or the additional AppleCare, your warrenty will be voided because it's jailbroken.

Then, I think the only other option you have, is to take it to a non-Apple phone repairer that is EXPERIENCED in iPhones!!

Let us know how you go champ,

-Ben

Reaction score
Alcohol jump start

Two things were wrong with my iphone 3gs when it all the sudden wouldn't respond to anything.

Either the little negative connector from the motherboard to frame slipped off next to the battery connectors, not likely (a ground is not necessary to charge) because it was a loose frame and that fixed the charging issue or

Its the mysterious and legendary alcohol jump start.

Just take some alcohol and swab or spray it on the connection port and plug it it and it began to charge and finally turned on

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are responding to a post that's 2+ years old..the OP likely has long since upgraded to a new phone..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.