PDA

View Full Version : buying iphone on ebay, shipping it to korea. using it as touch??

canoejesuit
05-08-2010, 09:31 AM
I'd greatly appreciate advice on this matter

I live in korea. I want to buy a cheap used iphone 2g (maybe 3g) on EBAY, and then have it shipped to Korea and use it as aㅜ ipod touch (with skype functionality/wifi) - as it won't have a data plan.

I've heard something about a SIM card and something about contacting AT&T, in order to get the iphone to function (without plan). The question is can i do this OVERSEAS? What will I need to get it working? Is it even possible?? I'm guessing NO but thought I'd run it past you guys.

big thanks
elliot
(email address removed)

Raz0rEdge
05-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Without a SIM card the iPhone will not function at all. If it's already been unlocked before you buy it, then ANY SIM card should make it active..but you'll want to make sure you don't get penalized for trying to use the cellular data when you don't have WiFi.

If you want an iPod Touch..get a iPod Touch..

Regards

chscag
05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
As you've been advised, if you want an iPod Touch buy a Touch. Even if you had an activated iPhone with a data plan by AT&T it would cost you a fortune to use it in Korea. The Koreans are very adept at electronics so I'm sure that when you get there you should be able to purchase something locally.

Also - do not include your email address in any public forum as that could lead to a deluge of SPAM if the address was picked up by a "BOT". I removed the address for your protection.

Regards.