• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Ibook update. When?

J

jmmdg6

I am new to the world of macs, perhaps not even born yet. I recently used my first mac for a class at school, and became hooked. I am now looking to buy a ibook soon. I started researching the ibook 2 months ago, and everyone told me to wait for the update. It has been very difficult to be so patient, and I am worried I may have to go find a different laptop to satisfy my needs. It is hard enough to even find speculation on any updates forthcoming. That is why I have started this thread. Please post any info you have on possible ibook updates. Thanks.

OP
B

BrianH

Ah, I was trying to wait for the ibook update for a month just letting my money collect, and alas i had enough to get a powerbook with a superdrive. (I ate bologna and cheese for a looong time to save the extra cash ;) ) but boy it sure was worth it. I honestly think the ibook update will happen when the powerbooks get updated.

Think like this, if the ibooks get updated the gap between the powerbook will become smaller than what it already is. 300 mhz, hard drive space, ram, and the 32mb vs. 64mb memory. So im guessing they will probably only add 100-150mhz 40 gb hard drive and no memory, even though tiger really needs the 64mb.

If your new mac is going to be your sole computer, get a powerbook. My mac is my now sole machine, as i gave my XP machine to my mom to use.

If you have the cash get a powerbook, trust me you wont be dissapointed. But, if the cash isnt there, get an ibook and then add some HD space and add RAM when you get it in. RAM is a pretty good bit cheaper if you buy it yourself, and installation is a breeze.

Cheers,
Brian

Reaction score
I was also planning on a Powerbook, but when I went to the store and played with the two, the Powerbook is clearly a MUCH better machine. For the amount of extra money you will be paying and the spec difference, it is worth the splurge. Wait longer if you need to save up more; it'll be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I LOVE MY POWERBOOK!!! (just thought I'd say that)

I tend to agree, the entire mobile line is due for a big update, but it might be a while. I wouldn't be too suprised if they didn't wait until the Intel chip was ready for them...

OP
T

Tel

I didn't have enough money for a powerbook when my XP machine died so I got a fully loaded iBook instead, its still a **** good little machine and I'll use it for college etc. though I plan on getting an iMac G5 (or whatever Apple may have available for me by then) sometime next year.

OP
J

jmmdg6

Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone that replied and gave their advice. As of today, I am beginning to hear more consistent rumors of the ibooks being updated at the educators conference on the 28th of June or somwhere around there. Although it may be a minor update, it is exactly what I am looking for. If it does not happen there, I will take it as a sign and just buy the 12" ibook. Oh well, it will still do what I need it to do.

OP
J

jmmdg6

How do you know June 28?

Do you have some insider information untoastytoast? Hopefully you are correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I hope it's june 28th as well, as I'm helping my mom buy one and I'm gonna get her the current middle 14" model as soon as the new ones are released and the price drops...

OP
U

untoastytoast

Nevermind. I don't know when the ibooks are being updated, but supposedly around the 28th they are doing a back to school deal, where you might get a gift with a new mac. And no, it's not the 200 off an ipod thing. Don't quote me on this however, i'm not sure, and the person who i got the info from was very vague.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
untoastytoast said:
Nevermind. I don't know when the ibooks are being updated, but supposedly around the 28th they are doing a back to school deal, where you might get a gift with a new mac. And no, it's not the 200 off an ipod thing. Don't quote me on this however, i'm not sure, and the person who i got the info from was very vague.

I sure hope this happens! I wouldn't mind a new ibook for a discounted price!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
benjamindaines said:
me 2 it kicks ***

you guys just like to rub it in don't you
;) j/k

IBOOK FO LIFE!!! :biohazard

OP
J

jmmdg6

It seems that there is a lot of buzz about the event tentativley scheduled for July 7th. There is even some speculation that there may be Ibook updates at this time or shortly before. I keep saying I will not wait any longer, but then rumors like this change my mind. Hopefully it will happen soon and I can end my misery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah definitely wait until the 7th, if not - just screw it and get one through apple's refurb store...

OP
J

jmmdg6

So, no refreshed ibooks today. Just two months ago I decided to make the switch to Mac and get my ibook when they were updated.(Which should have been 2 months ago). Now it seems that July 7 is my last hope. Is being a Mac owner always this frustrating? I can tell you one thing, if the ibooks are not updated on or before July 7, then I guess..... Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
jmmdg6 said:
if the ibooks are not updated on or before July 7, then I guess..... Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

Don't do it... You'll regret it. I promise. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.