Power outage question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
If i have my imac on and the power goes out all of the sudden will it hurt my imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
well if any computer expeirences a quick power outage it is bad for the comptuer, esspecially the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Always use a good surge protector, but I suggest a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that includes internet connection protection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Always use a good surge protector, but I suggest a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that includes internet connection protection

Agree, there are even some UPS's out there that can actually turn your system off the correct way by attacting a data cable to a port on your computer, It will tell your computer that it is no longer recieving power and that it should shut its self down normally. This prevents any damage done to your computer. So I do think you should look into that, they are not expensive, but not really cheap either, but a good investment.

B

Badger

You spent a lot of money on the computer, don't get cheap now. Get a good UPS that also protects the telephone line if you use a modem or DSL service.

S

SErgini0

In US you can get a 30minute UPS for 40$, in UK the cheapest I found was 29.99£.

O

october

Ok..I have been looking into this, and I did find a cheap one for $40. But my question is..It says it give you backup time of 13 minutes..but I heard someone say you can have it just shut down normally, but I don't see that listed as a feature at all.

Most of the time when the power will go out, it will be in the middle of the night..and I'm not going to just up in 13 minutes to go shut it down properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you might have to go over 100$ to get one that will shut your computer down. The one I have does it. It was like 150ish but I don't use it any more since I am now using a powerbook, Will start using it again when I get my powermac next june for college.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
This is where the journaled file system comes in.

Still, a UPS is better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.