• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will be gone for a while. . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
For several reasons. I have not been active here in a while, although I have showed up to a couple of the IRC chats. Some of you may already know this, but I am enlisting in the USAF Air Guard when I'm out of high school (I graduate May 16th, last day of classes is the 14th). I do not have a BMT date, as I still have to take the ASVAB and get my physical at MEPS. The job I'm trying to go for is in the Security Forces (then maybe later I'll go into TACP. . . but more on that later), but the unit I am going into has no positions open at this time, plus the unit is at 104% capacity, so I'll be waiting.

But between now and when I get shipped to basic, I will be studying for the ASVAB and my finals for school, training for basic, working, and spending time with my friends. I don't actually get to use my laptop much anymore, so getting on for long periods of time just hasn't been happening.

As for the job I'm wanting (Security Forces), it requires me to basically guard planes, bases, or if deployed convoys/buildings. I think the job will be very good on a law enforcement level, although it is of course much different than civilian law enforcement. But it is a good job, something I am really interested in.

Here's the SF job description.

The other job I was wanting was TACP. Stands for Tactical Air Control Party, and it's a unit of two or more airmen that go into combat with Army troops, giving those troops Air Force air power. They call in air strikes, helicopters, supply drops, etc. Unfortunately, the KYANG does not have a TACP unit, so I would have to cross train later on and move to a base that does have a TACP unit.

Here's the TACP job description.

Just letting you all know what's up, even though I won't always be gone. I'll still be here, just not as much right now. I'll also still be popping in on the IRC chats too.

Thanks for reading this what seems like a long post about something you don't necessarily need to know. I just wanted to share what I was doing with my life, as I'm graduating from high school soon to go into the "real life" ;)

See you guys/gals later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You sound like you have a great plan for your future there. I wish you well with it all, and hope that it is all that you expect and more.
Good luck.

(I wish I was young again :D)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for reading this what seems like a long post about something you don't necessarily need to know. I just wanted to share what I was doing with my life, as I'm graduating from high school soon to go into the "real life" ;)

Welcome to a "soon to be member" of the "real life" or "real world"! Ha Ha!;)

Let us know when you get a date for boot camp...so those of us who have been there can tell you some scary stories to get you really worked up!!!

Just teasing.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Great goals..Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Good luck in joining the USAF. And while you're at it try to see how Macs are used in the millitaty :). Anyways thanks for the info and best of luck with it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Let us know when you get a date for boot camp...so those of us who have been there can tell you some scary stories to get you really worked up!!!

He's a Mac user, probably already familiar with Boot Camp. ;)

...a young man with a plan. Good luck. Stay safe.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Excellent. Wish you the best. When I was younger I knew if I ever did any service I wanted it to be Air Force. Always seemed like the sweetest branch to be in.

Now I will just help people who have no idea about their computers with computers.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Thanks everyone. I would have replied earlier, but my phone was acting up and I couldn't sign in to Mac-Forums :(

I will most definitely be updating you all during the enlistment process! I am pretty excited about it, although basic training will probably suck! Thanks for the support as well everyone! I appreciate it :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good luck on your enlistment with the Air Guard. I guess pretty soon we can refer to you as a "Weekend Warrior". :)

BTW, you want to get down to BMT at Lackland AFB before or after Summer. I remember my BMT at Lackland (many years ago). Felt like the sun was two feet over my head. San Antonio gets pretty warm in the Summer!

Have fun and regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Good luck in joining the USAF. And while you're at it try to see how Macs are used in the millitaty :). Anyways thanks for the info and best of luck with it all.
i have come across Macs only a few times in my current 13 years in the Navy. the medical clinic in Mayport, FL uses them for the optometrists to project their eye charts on a wall. then the other time i saw a mac being used in the military was aboard the HMS Edinborough. they were using a PowerMac G4 to run the Combat Information Systems network. the us military believes the cheaper the better. therefore i usually only see dells and HPs.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, so more infoooooooo. whhoooo! I am joining the Air National Guard. Specifically, my home will be the 123rd Airlift Wing. the job I am really aiming for is the Security Forces, but unfortunately there are no positions open. And the 123rd Airlift Wing is currently at 104% capacity, so I will be waiting a while to get in. There are other jobs I am looking at, but it really all depends on my ASVAB score. Besides the SF, I'm looking into doing any sort of aircraft maintenance and EOD. If the 123rd Airlift Wing has an aerial gunner unit, I will also be considering that.

I am going to meet up with my recruiter on the 9th to get ready to set up the appointment for my ASVAB. I have been studying the heck out of the book I got, so hopefully thats enough to get me ready. All I need to do is at least get a 35, which seems like that should be an easy task.

I am not sure when I would be shipped out to BMT, but I know that the earliest would be after the summer. BMT will be 8 - 8 1/2 weeks long, and the length of tech school is unknown because I don't have a job picked out yet.

Just thought I would update everyone on the situation, because I have certainly moved forward. I really can't wait to become an airman ;)

ooh and PS, the 123rd AW has no TACP unit. Boo. So I would eventually have to move to a different base and cross train. But that won't be till MUCH later

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey eveyone, just thought I would provide an update on the situation. There have been some minor technicalities, involving paperwork and the inability to follow through on meetings, but I have recently filled out paperwork to get the ASVAB and MEPS physical done. MEPS still has to go look at my file and medical records, so the date for processing is still unknown for now. I will be doing same-day processing.

Also, I still have several jobs in mind, and I havent picked one out yet. I have decided to just wait until I get my ASVAB (or AFQT, however you want to put it) score until I decide what job I want. Im not picky, really, as long as it is something interesting and is worth going through all the training.

And I keep forgetting about the IRC chats! I gotta remember somehow next time, im missing you guys.

See you next time!

P.S. Are there any redditors on Mac-Forums? I hang around there all the time, good place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Glad to hear what's going on and things are well!

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear what's going on and things are well!

Thanks schweb!

by the way, I like your avatar! I assume you own one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.