• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hard Drive not being recognized

S

soxrguy

I have a B+W G3, 400mHz, with 512 mb of memory, 9gb hard drive, singly partitioned, that was running OS 10.3.9. My problem arose when I tried to run an application that only ran in a Classic (OS 9) environment, which I didn’t have installed. I tried to instal by placing the OS 9.2.1 disk into my machine. I first tried to run OS from the cd, but since the cd couldn’t be written to it wouldn’t allow me to run OS 9 this way. So I dragged the system folder from the OS 9 cd to my hard drive. The folder copied over ok, but this is where the problems started. I decided a restart was appropriate. Upon trying to restart I first got the blinking Mac folder with a question mark, then it progressed to a disk with a blinking question mark. My computer would load if I put the OS 9 disk in, but then my hard drive was not recognized. I tried to run Disk First Aid, but it did not acknowledge my hard drive. Upon opening Drive Setup, it saw the drive, but it was unrecognized and wouldn’t mount, but could be initialized. I tried to boot from an OS X cd and and the disk with a blinking question mark remained. My machine would boot from the DiskWarrior 3.0.2 cd and it recognized my drive and didn’t find any major changes. Also, I booted from my TechTool Pro 4.0.1 cd and it saw the hard drive and didn’t find any major problems. After trying both of these my machine still would just get to the disk with the blinking question mark. I have tried to hook up an external drive with both systems 9 and 10 on it and my machine would only load system 9 and failed to recognize the os x partition on that hard drive. ANY IDEAS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try holding option during startup, you will be given a screen to choose what os to boot, choose your os x installation and delete that system folder you copied, or open start up disk prefs and set the os x installation as the startup disk.

OP
S

soxrguy

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried holding option at startup and got the same results as well, the mac folder with a blinking question mark, followed by a disk with a blinking question mark.

As for loading off of the OS 9 cd and going in and picking out a startup disk, my hard drive isn't recognized by disk first aid and will not mount, but only initialize in disk setup.

I also tried holding down X while booting and got the same results, the mac folder with a blinking question mark, followed by a disk with a blinking question mark. I put in my OS 10.3 cd and nothing happened except the disk with a blinking question mark.

I tried starting up from my 10.3 cd while holding down X while booting and I got the same results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried booting into safe boot mode? try holding shift during start up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.