• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HP launches first ever AMD Phenom II-based notebooks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting article, however, I'm not too impressed with either AMD's latest and greatest, or HP's venture. We've had too many bad experiences over the years with HP machines (that includes their Compaq line). And as far as AMD is concerned - maybe they need to do more work with their ATI chipsets than worry about mobile computing. Intel will top them anyway.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Wow. How thick are those things and how well do they handle heat? 2 bays for up to 2TB of storage, 1GB GPU, quad core chips.

Those are specs that would have had me buying a 17" MBP Yesterday if only they would decide to put the latest and greatest in their machines.

Reaction score
Less models more quality

As a great supporter of HP ( I worked for them for 10 years!) I am always looking for good in their products and services. However in recent times HP seem to have an overwhelming need to dominate their markets. In the laptop market this seems to show by the large number of products ranges (do they really need so many). After the HP/Compaq merger the Compaq brand was retained and was to be the 'home' arm of the buisness while the HP brand attacked the business markets. This now seems to have become blurred and seeing offerings like the new AMD based machines convinces me more that the marketing teams have gone off track. If they could reduce the number of models and focus back on the quaility of HP and the economics of Compaq they could produce some amazing machines

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
AMD's latest and greatest isn't impressive, but they're going to advance in the mobile market due to their IGP solution via acquisition of ATI. They're going to be able to eat away at the mid end gaming market. Tons and tons of kids who want to play WoW but only have like 400-500 bucks to spend on a laptop are going to go with AMD chips.

Their quad core chips are also going to do wonders for the low end iMacs and maybe even the Minis. They're almost as good as the non-hyperthreading quad core i5s in the high end iMacs now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you saying that Apple will use AMD in the future rather than Intel? I don't believe that's very likely.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
No, but thanks to the anti-trust suit against Intel, Apple isn't obligated to use one or the other anymore. They have had AMD executives in the building a lot lately and the low end iMacs make perfect sense to place a chipset like X4. I think Apple will use both. Intel offers superior CPUs for higher end gear, but for Apples machines that require integrated graphics, the X4 is a definite upgrade over the core 2 duo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.