Switching to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to switch from PC to Mac but had a few questions.

First, hardware...
I'm looking at getting the 15" Macbook Pro with the upgraded resolution (1050). I need help deciding if I need the i5 or the i7. Also how much of a difference is there between the 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm drive?

For the software....
I use a lot of Adobe software for web and graphics however it is all PC based. Is it possible to use this on Snow Leopard? Also, I use Quickbooks for accounting and Office for documents. I currently use Outlook (with hosted exchange) for email. How does PC software work on the Mac? Would it use bootcamp or a dual-boot setup? Will I need to install a copy of Windows to do that?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I'm very excited to switch to Mac!

Wes

Reaction score
The i7 gives you 1 MB more of L3 cache than the i5s, which will help for photoshop. Unless you want to get the larger 17-inch MBP, the i7 model is also the only configuration that offers 512MB of GDDR3 for the Graphics Processor Nvidia Geforce GT 330M. Keep that in mind since you're interested in the higher resolution display. The speed of the higher-end i5 vs the i7 isn't too drastic but the i7 is faster operating at 3.06GHz while using 2 cores and 3.33GHz at single core. The i5 (2.53GHz) operates at 2.8GHz in duo cores, and 3.06GHz at single core. Lastly, running Windows in your mac via Bootcamp is as simple as putting a game cartridge into your Gameboy. I or someone else can explain it more when you actually get your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.