27" iMac i7

Reaction score
I'm a commercial photographer who shoots with a Canon 5D II camera that is usually shot "teathered" to my Macs via a 14' USB cable. That is until I bought a new i7 Core 27" iMac. With the long cable, the computer cannot see the camera, though the camera does see the computer. If I use a 6' USB cable there is no problem with communication at all, but a 6' cable is too restrictive to be useful in the studio. Anybody have a suggestion? Apple claims to have never heard of the issue, however when I went to an Apple store and connected the camera to their 27" i7, it still did not work. It ain't me, it's them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I believe what you need is a USB extension repeater cord because I think you are near the maximum range of USB technology. I've been told USB doesn't work past a certain length so if you want a longer cord you need a repeater.

I've experienced this problem a few times myself with other electronics and getting a repeater extension cord works. Basically use your shorter 6' USB cord and then get a long repeater cord.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.