Pls help ... going crazy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am hoping someone here can help me.

I am on my third time machine (first 2 replaced by apple due to hardware problems). I have just tried to connect my new one to the internet and my macbook air and iphone are not able to connect to the internet.

I am getting a green light on both the time machine and also on the air port utility, which recognises the time machine as a wireless device.

I AM getting skype connection and can even make calls BUT no connection to any web pages.

The frustrating thing is that if I connect a non-apple wireless router, I can connect to the internet fine with both macbook air and my iphone. So the settings on the time machine must be fine as I replicated the settings. I have also tried piggy backing off the non apple router and I have the same issue.

Can anyone help? I am a desperate mac user who is about to give up on the time machine altogether.

FYI, I am using snow leopard mac os x v. 10.6.3 and airport utility 5.5.1 v(551.19)

Cheers in advance

Sami

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not an expert, but since you're desperate a suggestion. I once lost my entire network setup (long story I won't go into here), out of desperation (after many hours trying to get my MacBook to recognize the wireless network and vice versa) I hooked into the Timecapsule via ethernet and was able to get a connection. Once that was established, I turned on Airport, unplugged the ethernet and everything linked up automatically after that.

Don't know why it worked, but it did in my case . . . might be worth a try.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for quick response. I tried what you suggested but had the same problem ... connected with ethernet through the time machine and got a skype connection but no internet. Thanks anyway.

Sami

Reaction score
Sounds like a DNS issue to me (albeit a funky one). Go to System Preference and select network then select Airport of the left and click Advanced. There is a tab called DNS, select it and see if there are any settings in there. If there are remove them by using the minus at the bottom of the column. Also make sure that no proxies are set. I assume that you are using DHCP so all of this information should get sent back to the Mac once you disconnect and reconnect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.