Network Hard Drive, works on PC not on Mac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have a Linksys WRT610N router with a new external hard drive hooked up to it via it's USB port. I named the drive T and it can be used without any issue on our two PC's in the house (one XP and one Windows 7).

As for our macs in the house, the router name shows up in the Finder under the shared section and the T Folder shows up in the file list. When I double click on T Folder on both Macs I get "The operation cannot be completed because the original item for "T" cannot be found".

Does anyone have any idea what this means and how I might be able to access the external hard drive on our macs???? I find it odd that is so easy on the pc and difficult on the Mac.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Probably has to do with how the drive is formatted.
This should help you decide which format to use for your needs:

Screenshot2010-05-02at30508PM.png

Reaction score
yeah, the other guy said it.
your hard drive, depending on which computer you set it up with is formatted for that operating system.
if you format it using FAT32 then both computers can probably use it. down side, you cant use it at the same time, and you can only format it to 32gb on your mac. reasons for this, you cannot store such different file formats on the same hard drive.
i suggest you buy a desktop external hard drive for your mac or pc depending on which you have more of and reformat your external hard drive.
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.