Computer responds to external ping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
Got the wife a new MacBook Pro to replace her aging HP laptop, and since her PC was the last device in the house using old G wireless, decided to replace my equally aged Netgear router with an Airport Extreme + Express to extend the range (fairly large single-story house).

The Airport setup is fabulous so far. With the Express device to extend the range, we have full or nearly full signal everywhere she wants to go.

One issue with a GRC "Shields Up" test - the computers will respond to an external ping, even though I have the "Don't respond to ping or echo requests" checkbox selected in each machine's firewall setup. This didn't happen with the Netgear router.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

Tom

Reaction score
Yes, the route is what is responding to the ping, not the Mac. I can't remember off hand but I thought there was a setting in the Extreme that would allow you to set it to stealth mode.

Although it is pointless to do anyway to be honest as most will do a port scan wether a computer responds or not.

**Edit

A quick search turned up that the Apple Extreme does not have the ability to turn off ICMP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.