Security Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
Guys I am getting ready to purchase a 21.5" iMac and as I understand it you really don't have to have virus protection with this computer that is one of the things that attracts me to it. I have played around with it in Best Buy and have really like this computer, I really don't even like looking at the PC anymore LOL. My question is this not know a lot about internet security will it be safe to do online banking and the such with it without any of the so called internet security products out there? Remember I'm not to much up on all this and will have plenty of questions I'm sure and have a senior moment from time to time, just about to turn 55 and have only used PC and very limited knowledge there. Thanks sorry for the long post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your bank's site should have all the security you'll need. If not, get another bank! This from someone who doesn't do online banking...

As one always pointing out the unhelpful generic titles we often see around here, kudos to you for hitting the nail on the head with your title! :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
Thanks, we have a bank with a secure website so I guess I will not have a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Whether you are banking online on Mac or Windows, your security mostly depends on the security of your bank technology. When you are using your online bank make sure that you see the little padlock symbol somewhere on your web browser. It just means that all your information you are exchanging with your bank is encrypted so other people can't read it.

You should also look for this symbol when doing any online shopping or any other personal data. Getting specific types of viruses can cause you problems with security which is why you need virus protection on Windows but you don't really have to worry about that on Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are only a youngster my boy and do not worry about the banking security ~ using Safari or Firefox, which IMHO is better, will be just fine. My bank issues online users with a Verisign Identity Protection which generates a unique six digit code every time one enters the online bank. Ask if your financial institution uses one.

Also, if you intend to run Windows on Bootcamp download Microsoft Security Essentials. If not, no virus or malware worries if you follow safe browsing practices.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You won't need any of those security suites from one of those companies that have built multi-million dollar businesses trying to help protect our Windows using friends.

You will want to keep your home network safe from prying neighbors. Make sure you've got any modern router with a built-in firewall and either connect your computer via ethernet or if you're going to use a wireless network, make sure you are using WPA2 encryption.

Stay away from downloading pirated/illegal software and video codecs some xxx video sites suggest you need.

And you're pretty well safe with OS X.

(Don't worry, we've a small crowd of us here growing more senile by the day. :[ You could be a grandkid of one of our members.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.