• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

European Electrical Compatibility

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to take a trip to Europe for a few months and I'll be bringing my MacBook Pro to do video editing. I want to buy a monitor when I get there (instead of buying one here and having it possibly damaged during the trip there) but I know they have a different electrical system there. I'm bringing an electrical converter for my laptop but I need to know if I use a European monitor running on their electric system will it work with my laptop?

I really need to know for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't even need a converter for your MBP. They're capable of handling 100-240v. Only need an adapter for it. And the electrical needs will have nothing to do with attaching any data cables, from ethernet or FW to video and audio.

Reaction score
The video editing might be a bigger task. If you plan on playing them on a local TV you may have issues as they use different formats over there depending on region. (PAL vs NTSC etc...)

On the power side, all you need is a cheap adapter as bobtomay mentioned above.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... (PAL vs NTSC etc...)

Thanks, didn't think about that and don't have clue what effect that would have. A computer monitor should work fine. At the least you can take your MBP with into the shop and try it out pre-purchase unless we get someone to come around that has actually done it.

Reaction score
I lived in Germany for 4 years and have run into some issues as they use PAL as their format. A computer monitor will work with no problems but if the OP wants to burn that disk to a DVD and then play it on a TV from another nation, there will be some formatting issues. I'm sure that most software can handle multiple formats and IMovie can change between PAL and NTSC.

I just wanted to toss that out there as food for thought. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! That means I can pack light for the trip and just buy a monitor when I get there. Cool.

Reaction score
Yup and don't forget the most important part. Enjoy it!

Might I enquire where you are going? As I said, I lived in Germany for 4 years and loved it, I just wish I would have gotten more time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.