Just got a Mac! Safe to install this update?

Reaction score
I just got a Mac today and my friend was kind enough to put Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo) on a disc for me. I wanted to get started Macing right away, but I do have a concern.

My friend doesn't take care of his Mac. He doesn't update it and he has pirated iworks which I read has a trojan, but I don't know if his has one or not. So now I don't know if I should install the combo update or not. Could his computer which he doesn't take care of have messed up the file? Can I be sure if it's legitimate or not?

I was reading through the threads here on trojans, viruses, and security. In one or two I saw someone worried that one of the files was .1 or so bigger than they thought it would be. That's not anything to worry about in my opinion, but something that strikes me as odd is the combo update on the disc my friend gave me is 823.4 MB, where as Apple's website lists it as 785.29 MB. That's a big difference!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Emily if you are that concerned about the update, go to th Apple web site and download directly from there. Give it all time to work almost 800MB:-

Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)

OP
E
Reaction score
I don't want to sound lazy, but because it would take a long time. If I went to a computer tech/repair shop and asked them to download it for me do you think I could trust that the file would be legitimate?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you on dial-up? It's 786MB. Sure, it won't be immediate, but it should only take an hour or two, even on a slow DSL connection.

OP
E
Reaction score
Are you on dial-up? It's 786MB. Sure, it won't be immediate, but it should only take an hour or two, even on a slow DSL connection.

My connection is slow and has kind of been on the fritz lately. We're going to have someone look at it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That Trojan that comes with some pirated copies of iWork is not a virus. It does not replicate. I doubt the 10.6.3 update would have anything wrong with it. If it were Windows and a Windows Virus, then I would have the same concerns you do, but with OSX, no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.