Help Me, 3 mobile broadband on my mbp

Reaction score
I have a 13" macbook pro running latest snow leopard. I bought a 3 mobile broadband dongle, model number e1550. This is not being recognised on my mac.

It works perfectly on my windows netbook and windows desktop. I have googled this and it seems to be a common problem to do with drivers. Does anyone have the right drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hello,

Yes, I have the solution and am running a 3 Huawei E160 (pre-cursor to yours) dongle on my MacBook with Snow Leopard.

After wiping my hard drive to install Snow Leopard, I plugged in my Huawei E160G modem and tried to install it using the 3 Mobile software provided.
It turns out the installer will not work in 10.6, so I found this after a search

Fixing 3 Mobile Broadband E168G on Snow Leopard James Whittaker

Now, the instructions for installing did not work, as I discovered the package will not actually install the drivers, so next I searched for and managed to find the correct kext (driver) which should cover most Huawei models

As soon as I installed the kext using KextHelper, and before I managed to do a restart, the modem was detected. I restarted anyway to be on the safe side and set the modem up as per the instructions near the bottom of the linked page.

The point is, I know this is meant to be specific for an E168G on 3 UK, but it can be adapted for whatever Huawei modem / ISP combination you have.

As I don't have the means to attach the files to this post, please pm me with an email address and I'll send them to you.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi mrblue,

Could you please let us all know how you got on; it could help others in the same situation.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.