MBP Snow Leopard not reconnecting to network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP w/ i7, 4GB DDR3, 500GB ATA, Snow 10.6.3, and iPhone 3G
I've had this issue for months now. The only solution is to reboot the modem. Background. I've got a 2009 MBP running Snow Leopard. I share with the home network with the tenants that rent out my basement. If I reset the wireless modem I can connect with my MBP. As soon as I take the computer out of the room, lets say 30ft, where the signal strength is still 2-3 bars I am unable to reconnect, or as I should say "connection timed out". I'll return to the wireless hotspot (right next to the wireless modem) and try to reconnect, again "connection timed out". I've tried everything on the MBP, i.e. renewing the lease, restarting the comp, all to no avail. The only solution is to restart the modem. My desktop and my housemates older MBP are situated pretty far from the wireless modem, 20-25 ft, and never have this issue. Help!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Which router is it and has it been updated to the latest firmware? Which encryption are you using? Does your MBP consistently see the router though it fails to connect?

Regards

OP
devlinrose
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not there at the moment. Will be in a few hours. When I am I will repost the model number and see if it has been updated to the most recent firmware. In the meantime, the router is utilizing WPA Personal encryption and my MBP always sees it. In addition, my PS3 has not problems and my iPhone doesn't either, especially when I'm further from the router than my MBP (excess of 40ft).

OP
devlinrose
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Router is a Netgear WGT624 v3. Firmware is up to date too.

OP
devlinrose
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any other thoughts, anyone? Help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.