• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Advice for skipping in iMovie

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 2GB with 10.6.3 and iMovie 09 (v8.0.6)

I have made a movie that is about 25 minutes long with imported iTunes music, a number of voiceovers, and effects, such as picture-in-picture and cut-aways. I experience often that the movie is choppy and that the effects never appear, the film just freezes for that portion.

Is it a lack of memory that is causing this?

I have my iTunes music on an eHDD and I have to first activate iTunes so that the song files in iMovie are "seen". I close everything else down when I run the movie or do a conversion in iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Sounds like a memory problem to me, though I can't be sure. Try exporting the movie. I bet the effects appear fine in the final version. If not, then you'll know your problem is something else. But if you have a long video with many effects, it could also be working the graphics card really hard, and its integrated, not discrete like on other MBP models. Have you tried closing any other programs that might be using RAM or processing power?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Is the MacBoook Pro one with only integrated video? That would be all 13" models and the lower end of the newer 15" models.

You can check memory issues by using Activity Monitor. Click on the System Memory tab near the bottom and look to see if you have much free memory but especially if the 'Page outs' continue to climb. All of course while doing your video editing work.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I assume it's a memory problem. I don't know how to check if I have a MBP with an integrated card.

It's a MBP 15" from June 2009; purchased a few weeks before the current line was introduced. It's the one with a removable battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds like you have this version introduced in October of 08'.

Use 'System Profiler' in the Utilities folder to review the 'Hardware' 'Graphics/Displays' entry. Compare that to the above links 'Video:' entry.

I believe that MBP needs to have the choice of video adapter set in system preferences and a reboot is required when changing it. I'm not sure how to tell which one is active, but you would want to use the 9600M when doing demanding imaging work. I'm vague on this because I don't have that model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.