Why did my Macbook make this noise/sound?

Reaction score
I was browsing the internet and all of a sudden my Macbook makes this noise. The best way to describe this noise is "boop"

It's never done this while I was using the internet before, but I do recognize this noise/sound from somewhere. Any idea why it would have made the "boop" noise?

Edit: I think this was the noise you hear if your Macbook battery is low and they tell you that you should plug in your Macbook to an outlet. But my Macbook was plugged into the wall when this noise/sound happened. The battery also wasn't low and reaching a fully charged state.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
My MBP made three beeps when I tried to boot it once. A memory stick must have dislodged itself. It only happened once though.
Could it have been a sound on a webpage? A wacky and annoying flash ad with audio?

OP
N
Reaction score
I don't know if it would have been that because I have adblock and noscript installed in Firefox.

Just when I'm getting comfortable something strange has to happen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It would have been the Funk sound which is an alert sound.
You will find it in system preferences/sound.

You can get this by hitting a combination of keys that don't do anything, such as shift command V
It will also come up if you are trying to do something when there is an alert window waiting for you to push a tab, etc.
I actually have this sound come up intermittently for no reason. It may not happen for months at a time, then suddenly a few "funk" sounds every few minutes, or few hours, and then it stops.

OP
N
Reaction score
Now I hate hate HATE to open up the paranoia can again, but since I haven't experienced this sound just by browsing...well I have to ask the questions.

Would I have heard the Funk if someone was trying to access my computer? Could that be someone trying trying to get on my computer and the firewall warning me?

I also have another question which does and doesn't relate to this. I still have iAntivirus installed, and yes I will uninstall it one of these days! iAntivirus doesn't have updates for it all the time, but today was one of those days where there happened to be one supposedly. So I updated it, but then I go to iAntivirus' forum and there was someone on there asking if iAntivirus was being discontinued. I then wondered, what if iAntivirus switched companies or got hacked? I also tried registering for their forum just to ask some questions, but I haven't gotten a registration email back from them. Potentially could a trojan or keylogger have been installed since I entered my administrator password months ago when I installed iAntivirus. People have warned that Mac antivirus programs are bad and now I fear it could have done something REALLY bad, besides be a memory hog. Could the Funk be because IAntivirus went really bad?

That is such a paranoid question, but the Funk scared me. Scared me because I haven't heard it while web browsing and because I wasn't expecting any noise at all.

In the opinion of anyone reading this, is there a reason to be concerned by me getting this Funk noise/sound as far as security goes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've had the funk noise come up for no reason at all, without web browsing etc.
I can't work out why, but am not racking my brains about it. I believe that I have some bad preference somewhere that I have been unable to locate, and because it happens so rarely, it's not worth putting to much thought into.
As for the rest, I'm not hopping into your paranoia can of worms....NO, the funk sound isn't someone trying to connect, or a trojan, or whatever you let your mind go with!
Use the uninstaller and uninstall that iAntivirus already!
The fact that you say you will one of these days, and your post, just makes it clear that you are paranoid, regardless of the advise that you have had, and the suggestions that have been given to you.

If I were you, I would really learn to chill out a bit :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It just sounds like one of the alert sounds. As mentioned, perhaps you accidentally held down an improper key combination or something. If this has only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. People do much worse things accidentally.

Reaction score
that kind is thing also happened to me .

when i open my pc, a strange voice comes along.

and the i reinstalled the system, the voice disappear.

if the above suggestions are not work, you can try:)

M

MacInWin

Mac is not windows. You don't need to be worried about every little thing that goes on. Nobody is hacking into your machine, no viri exist in the free world, Mac is not windows. The funk is just a warning beep that you pressed a key combo it didn't recognize, or it had a problem of some sort. It just says "can't do that, boss." No harm, no foul.

Get rid of the antivirus. Get rid of the antivirus. Get rid of the antivirus. 'Nuff said?

I switched from Windows about 18 months ago, haven't got any AV software, surf the net daily (not at the risky sites, mind you). I occasionally run Windows under VMWare with no AV because I'll whack it the first time it shows any problem and restore from the clean backup image I took right after install.

Again, one switcher to another, don't think windows-think, shift gears to Mac-think. Life is so much more enjoyable that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
wow, sounds like New2theMac is paranoid alright.

Trust us... we've all been using Macs longer than you, and we can honestly tell you there's no need for AV software. If anything, it's causing more bugs than detecting! We love our Macs exactly because it's not Windows and there's no need to be so fearful of simply using your computer.

Reaction score
These are computers. Sometimes they freeze, shutdown unexpectedly, and make silly noises. It happens. If it works fine now, then no harm done and move on. If not, then you can try and determine the fix. Relax, everything is O.K.

Reaction score
Unidentified Sounds

I've been using Mac products for a thousand years, and I also haven't been able to identify a sound.

We all set our own sounds under Preferences under Sound - BUT, this is different.

I have a mild alert sound chosen for each time an email arrives (which is about continuously). I will lately, however, hear a very different sound when I'm not doing anything on the computer. I've noticed it most when I've turned away and I'm doing something else. It isn't very frequent at all, so I can't get a handle on it - not even as far as possibilities go.

It probably doesn't matter what it actually sounds like. It has more of an echo to it and is decidedly very different from my email sound.

This has my curiosity up, as it is relatively recent. Having used this particular MacBook Pro for two years, it is only in the last few weeks that this other sound has materialized.

A problem to be solved for the sake of knowing if nothing else!

Ingrid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.