the mactel announcement makes me want to get a mac now

J

jtheut

i have recently made the desicion to switch to mac, and after some deliberation, i have decided that now is the time to buy a mac.

who would want a first gen mactel? there will most likely be numerous problems, and the marriage of apple and intel will defianately not be perfect at that time.

it's kinda like the older products, that are still better. like you could look at the holiday rambler company, a manufactuer of rvs/trailers.

before holiday rambler was bought out, they made the best trailers in the business. after they were bought out, the quality went down. some people say that the pre 1993 or whatever the date is holiday rambler are better than todays.

if i buy a mac now, i will get bare minimum 3 years of being up to date, and will probably not have to upgrade until 2009, having sucked 4 years out of the mac. by that time, mactels will be standard, and they should be pretty good products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
That's a cool way of looking at it for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I would add in the fact that if you wait just a bit after this kind of announcement...you might very well get a deal that you could have only dreamed about getting a month ago.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

why are the being called mactel.... we never callled them macpear or better yet macPC

Reaction score
mactel, I don't think is the real name to be used but I wonder if it will change!

OP
D

dlisle20

mactel... good name how about:
Appletel
iTel
Macintel (from macintosh) :black:

OP
M

mr_silly

I also made the decision the switch not long ago and was in a bit of doubt after hearing the keynote. Now however I think also think this is a great time to buy. I get time to get used to the UI, get a great deal and anyway, I usually updated my PC's every 2 years so by the time they get the bugs ironed out Ill be ready for my first mactel.

OP
M

mr_silly

Perhaps the new name for MAC should be the MIC ((M)ac (I)ntel (C)omputer!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
mactel came from the same place as wintel. As for the name, Apple my call the new system something else. For now, everyone is trying to give is a name, and see which one sticks.

As for the x86 chip if it is a class of chips. Then there could be a new chip set based on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I definitely don't like this intel dual-boot with windows crap. I'm going to call it the Sellout2005.

j/k that will never stick... how about the MactelXP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
I dunno. I'm not expecting too many changes in the actual naming convention minus the suffixes. We all hate the move, but I'm still rooting for Apple. And I think I always will. I thought this was going to be the worst thing in the world, but after reading a few common sense comments about what's to expected, the only ones who have work out for them are developers who wrote crappy code in the first place. I am dying for a copy of xcode 2.1. I wanna play around with it :).

Down the road, with all the bull**** Microsoft plans to do with DRM and possibly even controlling what is installed, apple is still a better alternative. Yay for apple :D

My real dilemma is when I should buy my replacement mac. Now? Or should I wait? Either way this Gateway/AMD pos joke of a 64bit processor is going for a long trip on the ol' ebay canal when i do get my mac :D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mr_silly said:
Perhaps the new name for MAC should be the MIC ((M)ac (I)ntel (C)omputer!!!
Tell me again why we need a new, nonsensical abbreviation for Media Access Control?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
or (i)book for the ones with intel, and (power)book for the ones with PowerPC. Man, if only that would be an actual option. And yes, I know it will never ever ever work like that.

OP
P

pankajdubey

Posterity

jtheut said:
i have recently made the desicion to switch to mac, and after some deliberation, i have decided that now is the time to buy a mac.

who would want a first gen mactel? there will most likely be numerous problems, and the marriage of apple and intel will defianately not be perfect at that time.

it's kinda like the older products, that are still better. like you could look at the holiday rambler company, a manufactuer of rvs/trailers.

before holiday rambler was bought out, they made the best trailers in the business. after they were bought out, the quality went down. some people say that the pre 1993 or whatever the date is holiday rambler are better than todays.

if i buy a mac now, i will get bare minimum 3 years of being up to date, and will probably not have to upgrade until 2009, having sucked 4 years out of the mac. by that time, mactels will be standard, and they should be pretty good products.

i am happy I bought my Powerbook . It will have the posterity value as well.It may end being a microsoft like OS licensing thing suppliers shipping Apple compatible Macs.

Pankaj

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.