• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple sued over use of moisture indicators to deny free repairs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
I think Apple has every right to do this. Why? Because a 15 year old doesn't need an iPhone, and shouldn't be drinking or eating around a MacBook. Just saying.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes I agree with you. But if atmospheric conditions or hand sweat or other similar things set off the indicators then well Apple should pay the repairs. I know now that an Act of God is no longer covered by Apple's warranty but cause I live in a humid climate and that set off the indicators. That's a little too much I think.

Reaction score
Let's see: I am in the process of moving to Houston and I think that if anyone uses their computer there in the summertime, it's going to register with the Apple moisture indicator... the relative humidity there in the summer is close to 100% all the time. I wonder if folks have had that kind of experience where repairs were denied?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Honestly... who doesn't have an air conditioner in the South???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Who never leaves the presence of an air conditioner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Let's see: I am in the process of moving to Houston and I think that if anyone uses their computer there in the summertime, it's going to register with the Apple moisture indicator... the relative humidity there in the summer is close to 100% all the time. I wonder if folks have had that kind of experience where repairs were denied?

Let me answer that for you I have never had an issue with Apple Service
because of humidity and have lived in Houston all my life. But you will not find
to many people outside in the peak of summer unless they are being paid for it the rest are in AC or headed there.

Reaction score
I live in central New Mexico and we use evaporative coolers during the summer here. I don't think condensation occurs though because the heat of the ductwork in the attic eliminates some of the moisture as it cools down. Not to mention that in order to effectively and efficiently cool down the house you have to open an exterior orifice (like a window) to circulate the system. Somehow I don't see my use of the swamp cooler in the summer has affected my iPod touch.

Reaction score
I think Apple has every right to do this. Why? Because a 15 year old doesn't need an iPhone, and shouldn't be drinking or eating around a MacBook. Just saying.

I agree. But the moisture indicator utilized by apple is another piece of useful technology employed by apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bet they are not the only ones using this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
You guys really think it's only apple? My BB from 2005 had the moisture indicators.

Sucks but too many BS'ers out there get their stuff wet and try to pretend it didn't and THAT is why the indicators were invented, to protect the company from 4$$holes, not to rip some chick off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You guys really think it's only apple? My BB from 2005 had the moisture indicators.

Sucks but too many BS'ers out there get their stuff wet and try to pretend it didn't and THAT is why the indicators were invented, to protect the company from 4$$holes, not to rip some chick off.

I agree.
Maybe they can handle it on a case-by-case basis? But even then you have the burden of proof.... :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will just say this, if Apple is sued for the indicators, Nokia should be also. My friends mom took her Nokia phone to an AT&T store. They refused to help her as the Moisture indicators showed them she got her phone wet. I know her quite well and she never spilled liquid on the phone.

So it's not just Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well you all know if it was not for lawyers ~~ we would not need lawyers!

Reaction score
Honestly, the water damage indicator is totally unnecessary. Water damage is easy to spot in a device, without using an indicator.

This is actually why I opted to buy a G1 instead of an iPhone. Im really paranoid, so i always assume the worst. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, the water damage indicator is totally unnecessary. Water damage is easy to spot in a device, without using an indicator.

This is actually why I opted to buy a G1 instead of an iPhone. Im really paranoid, so i always assume the worst. :D

It has a sticker on your battery that turns red upon contact with moisture and
thats just the current known one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Yes I agree with you. But if atmospheric conditions or hand sweat or other similar things set off the indicators then well Apple should pay the repairs. I know now that an Act of God is no longer covered by Apple's warranty but cause I live in a humid climate and that set off the indicators. That's a little too much I think.

I agree, I know a guy who set his off from the steam in the shower, Luckily Apple handled the situation on a case by case basis and replaced the iPhone free.

Agreed, Every phone maker uses them, Apple just happens to make the most popular,expensive and in demand phone in the world.

I agree.
Maybe they can handle it on a case-by-case basis? But even then you have the burden of proof.... :|

I agree, Besides you don't need a water indicator to tell if a iPhone has been wet, Just open one up and you will see.

Will just say this, if Apple is sued for the indicators, Nokia should be also. My friends mom took her Nokia phone to an AT&T store. They refused to help her as the Moisture indicators showed them she got her phone wet. I know her quite well and she never spilled liquid on the phone.

So it's not just Apple.

Technically wouldn't she sue At&t for refusing to help her??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Technically wouldn't she sue At&t for refusing to help her??

She really is not the suing type. I would have made more of an issue if it were my phone and I for sure did not get it wet at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
She really is not the suing type. I would have made more of an issue if it were my phone and I for sure did not get it wet at all.

I agree, I think 90% of lawsuits in this country are B.S. anyway. It's been my experience with Apple If your polite and friendly they will generally go the extra mile there are many positive stories myself included where Apple has honored out of warranty repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Wow. I'd hope they handle it on a case-by-case. I'd build phones the same way were I in the phone business. However, I would hope that judicious decisions would prevail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.