iMac G5 and Intel differences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.4 8600 256
Hello,

I am currently in the market for a used iMac or possibly a full tower G5 Power Mac. I have a question or 2 that i cannot seem to find answers to.

The newer iMac's have the Intel chips.. While the older G5's have the PowerPC chip. Do you have to buy software based upon the CPU that is installed? Or does all modern software run on either platform?

I have been in computer's since about 1980 when every platform had it's own software platform ie; Commodore, Tandy, Apple, everyone was doing their own thing and nothing was interchangeable... This is why this question is stuck in my head, my apologies if it seems rather dumb to long time Mac users :)

My plan's is to spend $500-$800 or so on a used Mac and see how i like it. I currently have 3 PC's all running Linux at the house, and have been wanting to try a Mac for the last few years. Hopefully after letting the wife use the Mac for awhile i can talk her into getting us all new ones :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As much as the older Mac's still do a very good job technology and applications have moved forward and the fact that Snow Lepard will only run on Intel machines I would
look into an iMac not to far from your budget and will offer you years of program compatibility not to mention you can run Linux or Windows in Bootcamp. It would be easier to impress your wife with the speed and ease of SL just a thought.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.4 8600 256
As much as the older Mac's still do a very good job technology and applications have moved forward and the fact that Snow Lepard will only run on Intel machines I would
look into an iMac not to far from your budget and will offer you years of program compatibility not to mention you can run Linux or Windows in Bootcamp. It would be easier to impress your wife with the speed and ease of SL just a thought.

I was not aware the SL would not run on the older platforms. This is the exact information i was wondering about. Tyvm sir for your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.