• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MPEG Streamclip to convert DVD to FCE

Reaction score
I am a newbie with editing software, so forgive me if my technical terms are incorrect.

I am trying to create a fan edit for my own entertainment. I have no issues with ripping the movie (using Mac the Ripper), and I think convert correctly using Mpeg Streamclip, as it looks good in my FCE viewer/canvas. But after I render it, the picture looks muddy and pixelated, particularly during action scenes.

So scanning the forums, I think I may have problems in two areas.....

1.) I don't think I am using the right settings on Mpeg.

Here's what I have been doing:

COMPRESSION: Apple DV/DVC PRO NTCS with the INTERLACED option at 100% quality
plus I leave the INTERLACED SCALING and REINTERLACED CHROMA checked, match the field settings (upper/lower) and enter the frame rate

But I think now, after reading through the forums, that this is INCORRECT? Could you guide me through what settings I should be using?
Someone told me Final Cut Express has use APPLE INTERMEDIATE codecs?

2.) I don't think I have the correct settings in Final Cut Express.

To be honest, I just jumped in to using the program and never even fully considered altering the preset settings. And now looking at them, I find all the choices a bit overwhelming and confusing. Could you direct me in the matter as well?

Also, when exporting, would I use QUICKTIME CONVERSION or just QUICKTIME MOVIE? I originally used Quicktime Conversion, but someone suggested to use the other....

3.) And the final and most painful question, the current project I have made in FCE (probably using the wrong MPEG settings) is there any way to save it/fix it or will I have to rebuild again from scratch? When you change the settings in FCE, can you apply them to a previous project instead of just a new one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.