3gs Ipad on other carries

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone know if the 3gs from the US is going to work anywhere. I want to order one from the US and bring it to Canada and run it on rogers when they have their data plan. I take it because there is no contract that the IPAD is unlocked and available to any network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Hi
Does anyone know if the 3gs from the US is going to work anywhere. I want to order one from the US and bring it to Canada and run it on rogers when they have their data plan. I take it because there is no contract that the IPAD is unlocked and available to any network?

I would guess it will be locked to At&t. I'm sure it will easily be unlocked soon after it's released.

C

chas_m

bargsbeer is incorrect on this one. As stated in the product introduction keynote, the iPad is sold UNLOCKED and will work with any carrier that supports their 3G frequencies (see tech specs page for more about this) **AND** (this is the key part) the micro-SIM format the iPad uses.

The SIM is "locked" I guess you could say to AT&T, but (in theory) you would bring it to Canada, get Rogers (perhaps) to sell you a compatible Micro-SIM, then pop it in the iPad and it would work.

The problem with your plan is threefold:

1. None of the carriers have yet announced support for the iPad's Micro-SIM. Regular SIM cards (even AT&T ones) won't work.

2. None of the carriers have adopted the "PAYGO" data model AT&T has, and no your AT&T data plan won't work (unless you're REALLY REALLY close to the US border and can pick up US cell signal).

3. No announcement from any of the carriers about which of them, if any, will support the iPad (though Rogers is a pretty safe bet), when they'll have Micro-SIMs, what their rules for support will be, and most importantly PRICING.

If I were you I'd wait a bit.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the input. Rogers will be offering a similar deal to At and T so I am alright. I also have my US account so I can get apps etc. That is also good becasue if i stay extended in the US which I do sometimes i can buy time on the AT and T network also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.