VMware: Windows till not start!

Reaction score
Hello, i was using some PC software this morning on my Mac via VMware Fusion 3.0.2 and accidentally kicked the plug in the wall. My computer switched off and when i turned it on my Mac operating system is fine however when i opened VMware up came the dos page with an error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing of corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried pressing 'r' as it tells me to when and nothing happens. Ive tried restarting Windows and then pressing 'r' but nothing happens still. None of the F numbers on my keyboard seem to work on VMware so cant press F2 or F10 as you normally would on Windows.

Ive phoned Mac as i spent the few hundred dollars on Apple Care Protection Plan but they aren't able to help me with this software.

Ive looked on the VMware help pages and their solution is way to advanced for me: VMware KB: Cannot boot or start a converted virtual machine

Please please can anyone help me. I only run two programs in Windows but they are my most important. My website and my accounting for my business.

Looking forward to some replies.....thanks

Monique

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your function keys will work when used in tandem with the Fn key. Have you tried this?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi CWA....yea ive tried fn key, control, option and command but it seems to use the Mac versions of the key not the PC version.

Screenshot2010-04-15at122037PM.png

On the above image is says to press F2 or F12 but when i press F2 nothing happens but if goes back to the first dos page that says Windows could not start because the following file is missing of corrupt. When i press F12 it comes up with my Dashboard even if i press the fn key with it.

Basically i cant press any number or the letter r as it suggests. If i press and hold the escape key it comes up with the below but i dont know what to do with it....maybe someone may know?

Screenshot2010-04-15at122600PM.png

Thanks in advance...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Before you start the virtual machine, pop your Windows disc in.

Start the virtual machine and when you see the BIOS screen, hit the Esc key. This should give you boot options, select to boot from CD-ROM. This should give you a prompt to press any key to boot from the Windows disc. Do it.

Once you get into Windows, choose the Recovery Console option (I believe it's 'R' at the main screen). And once you get to the Recovery Console run this:

CHKDSK C: /F

That will run a disk check and hopefully will correct any errors. While you're in there you will probably also want to run a:

FIXBOOT

-and-

FIXMBR

Just to be on the safe side. When you're done, type:

exit

...and the VM should reboot and hopefully go right into Windows. If not, you're likely going to have to restore your VM from backups (assuming you have a backup).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.