• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Home DVD ripping

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made some home dvd's a few years back and now they are in need of some fine tuning. Can anyone recommend some legit software that I could buy to make these dvd's editable again.

I am a complete novice on these things so please go easy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Since they are not licensed copy protected DVDs (which also makes it ok to discuss - discussing circumventing copy protection is not allowed here) you can use HandBrake to rip them to an MP4 then edit them in iMovie. Easiest way is to use one of the Apple presets within handbrake.

Reaction score
iMovie just can help u edit your DVD.
Importing a DVD into iMovie is not a straightforward process. However, there is a way of doing it that doesn’t require the use of third party software. A far as I know, this method only works with iMovie ‘08 and the DVD you want to transfer can’t contain any copy protected material.

Insert the DVD you want to transfer to iMovie.
Launch Disk Utility.app (found in the Utilities folder under Applications).
Select the DVD and click the New Image icon located in the toolbar.
Name your image and select a save location (I normally save to the desktop).
Once you have your image, doubleclick to mount it.
Launch iMovie. The program should automatically recognize the DVD image and begin processing the files.
Have fun editing your video files!

OP
G
Reaction score
Thats great thanks. Now I just need to roll the sleeves up and break out the red bull!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.