• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble with AVCHD in Premiere Pro on iMac Quad Core

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have recently upgraded from a Macbook Pro to an iMac, quad core i7 with 8GB of RAM. I have my AVCHD footage on a striped RAID hard drive connected via FW800 and the scratch disks on a separate 1TB hard drive that is not striped and that is connected via USB. I am using Premiere Pro CS4 to edit the footage.

When I play the video in PP, it warps on and off. It's better than when I was using my Macbook Pro dual core 4GB RAM, but it's still not playing smoothly. I have the presets set to 1080i30(60i), which is correct for this footage. The original footage was filmed at AVCHD 16M (FH) (1920x1080)

I would prefer to not have to convert the AVCHD footage, unless there is a clear advantage to doing this.I have tried converting to a P2 file, but it increases the file size from 284MB to 2.8GB.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.