updated macbook pro or current Mac Pro

Reaction score
maybe a stupid question as i totaly a noob when it comes to the technical part of computers... but is the current newest updated MacBook Pro (15-inch: 2.66GHz I7 cpu) better in performance than the current not-updated Mac pro ( Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with airport extreme added)

my guess would be the mac pro is still better in performance but again i could be wrong.

i know there's supposed to be an update of the mac pro but have to make a decission one of these days cause my old system can't handle the job. imac is not an option as i want a machine easy to add parts later (memory, hdd..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The Mac Pro is still a power house and the only one of their products you can add parts
easily if available and I am sure a refresh on the cpu and gpu will be soon.

OP
A
Reaction score
The Mac Pro is still a power house and the only one of their products you can add parts
easily if available and I am sure a refresh on the cpu and gpu will be soon.

thank you for replying,

say if i would need a computer now, would you recomend me buying the latest mac pro 2.66GHz I7 cpu. or mac pro Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core. purely based on performance without paying attention to adding parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I haven't had any actual experience with the i7 processor (or seen any benchmark tests, etc.) but according to their site, but supposedly the i7 is able to handle tasks much more efficiently and at greater volume. I'm not the consummate processor guru, so I'm sure someone else can give you a more complete answer, but since the i7 has the equivalent of 8 cores on a single chip, and a higher GHz rating in your case, I'd say go for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.