• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why would you make antivirus software for the Mac . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Why would you make antivirus software for the Mac . . . .
I just do not know. But these people seem to know.

BitDefender brings antivirus software to Mac | MacNN
They just released a new antivirus software for OS X.

So with no virii for OS X what are they planing to do? It's a scam I bet.

So remind us all again why we need a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm sure it's not a scam.

There are no viruses, but there are a couple of well-known trojans and one worm (that has been negated by a patch). So, I'm sure it scans for those. It also probably employs heuristics that attempt to discern virus-like behavior. Of course, that's what bogs down a system too, and is next to useless.

Why would they make it? Well, they know that there is a certain contingent of switchers that will buy it because they're so used to running some form of AV. They may even be aware that the chances of getting infected with some form of malware are slim to none, but it helps them sleep better at night knowing they're "protected".

To each his/her own, but I am perfectly comfortable with running ClamXAV in a reactive way should I suspect a problem - and that doesn't cost me a dime, nor does it consume any resources.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It probably also has the windows definitions loaded and would guess the 'Real time scan' scans your email to help prevent passing stuff along to your windows using friends.

I say, let them protect their own machines, the same as I do my win boxes here. Sorry, not getting my $40 either.

C

chas_m

Because most people are rather dim wrt to Mac "viruses" and easily manipulated by fear. This is what using Windows does to people, it convinces them that:

a. Computers are HARD.
b. The internet is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS.
c. Problems are NORMAL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Can't say I've ever had virus protection on my PC or my Macs....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coming Soon...
I've never used AV software. We use Symantec Endpoint where I work and when we first implemented it it was disabling mice and keyboard when you plugged them in. Just a slight inconvenience!

Was just a minor change on the server but it was rather annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
They make it fleece the recent Windows switchers who don't know any better. Heck, they always had to do it on Windows so you must have to do it on a Mac too...

I feel like we just had this argument here somewhere.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Those of us who have to exchange files with Dozers sometimes try to be good citizens and monitor their files for viruses - even ones that don't affect our OS.
Once ClamXav is available for Snow Leopard that's what I'll install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I fell for it when I made the switch last August. I ended up purchasing Intego Virus Barrier for 70.00/year. What a mistake that was. Much less a major resource hog. Never again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Those of us who have to exchange files with Dozers sometimes try to be good citizens and monitor their files for viruses - even ones that don't affect our OS.
Once ClamXav is available for Snow Leopard that's what I'll install.
That's why I also use ClamXav and because it's free. It's doesn't slow down my computer like other antivirus because it doesn't have an active monitoring feature which you really don't need on a Mac. I know I don't have to have antivirus but passing along a Windows virus to my parents, family, or friends is not something I want to do even if it's not my responsibility. So the antivirus is not really for my Mac but rather more for my Windows friends and family I share files with.

Actually in the case of my parents I would have to go fix their computers. My Dad has already had a nasty virus on his Windows machine that took me awhile to fix so I don't want have that happen again. Since most of the world is still Windows I interact with a lot of Windows users and would rather not be accused of passing on viruses to people I care about.

A lot of the antivirus for Mac software cover both Mac and Windows infections so they are mostly protecting against Windows viruses. I also agree with some of the others about these antivirus companies trying to make money off of recent Windows switchers who are used to running antivirus on their Windows machines. I'm assuming those are most of their customers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
That's why I also use ClamXav and because it's free. It's doesn't slow down my computer like other antivirus because it doesn't have an active monitoring feature which you really don't need on a Mac. I know I don't have to have antivirus but passing along a Windows virus to my parents, family, or friends is not something I want to do even if it's not my responsibility. So the antivirus is not really for my Mac but rather more for my Windows friends and family I share files with.

Actually in the case of my parents I would have to go fix their computers. My Dad has already had a nasty virus on his Windows machine that took me awhile to fix so I don't want have that happen again. Since most of the world is still Windows I interact with a lot of Windows users and would rather not be accused of passing on viruses to people I care about.

A lot of the antivirus for Mac software cover both Mac and Windows infections so they are mostly protecting against Windows viruses. I also agree with some of the others about these antivirus companies trying to make money off of recent Windows switchers who are used to running antivirus on their Windows machines. I'm assuming those are most of their customers.

I bought a Used 2006 iMac 17" and upgraded the hard drive with a 740GB WD Green drive.
That's what I currently use. My parents still use Windows 7. It is a custom box I built for them complete with a RAID 1.
I'm considering giving them my iMac and taking back the Windows machine - parting it out (ebay) and getting another used iMac for myself.
But yeah, Dad will click on anything. I'm waiting for a malware infection. Its only a matter of time.
I've got my mom on a macbook Pro now though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz i5 OS X 10.6.3
I did data management and tech support for a company that was a mixed OS X/Windows environment. In order to access the central server owned and operated by the state, our contract stated ALL the computers had to have anti-virus regardless since the server was Windows based.

We installed Norton on the lone mac in our office. All **** broke loose. I immediately removed it, and we simply fibbed about whether it had anti-virus since there was no way for the server to verify.

C

chas_m

SoaringDodo: good move. If you ever need to prove it, you can use ClamAV X for this purpose. It's far far less intrusive.

But as you've already discovered, anti-virus is completely unneeded on the Mac.

Reaction score
Let me ask this question, can a Windows AV say AVG or something scan mac files to make sure there are no trojans or the .dmg files? Just wondering cause if I download something at work on my windows machine for my macbook at home and wanna copy it ala USB style. Any thoughts on that.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Let me ask this question, can a Windows AV say AVG or something scan mac files to make sure there are no trojans or the .dmg files? Just wondering cause if I download something at work on my windows machine for my macbook at home and wanna copy it ala USB style. Any thoughts on that.?

My guess is no regarding the DMGs. Nothing in Windows other than third party utilities can open a DMG.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.